Windows 7 Regedit won't run!

wanix

Hi there!

My regedit has stopped opening properly. When I try to open regedit I get the UAC protection popup and I click yes. Then nothing happens. It's the same if I try to run it using cmd, run or try to run it from task manager.

I don't have any viruses and I can still open all the other registrytools like msconfig, cmd, admintools etc.

Can somebody please help me? I've got tons of plugins and scripts for 3d/post-production so I'd rather not reinstall.

/Johan

I assume that if you also browse to here C:\Windows\regedit.exe and right click it and choose run as administrator, the same thing happens?
I might suggest first using the System File Checker and see if that provides any information
Open an elevated command prompt and type
sfc /scannow
See if that provides any information regarding the issue.
Additionally a system restore, to a point in time prior to the issue having first occurred might help.
Keep us posted
Randy

Hey Randy! Thanks for the quick reply. I did a scan and got this message: error.png I've also uploaded the log-file here: Link Removed due to 404 Error Another weird thing tho, I couldn't open the .log in the windows dir, had to copy it to c: to open it.

These seem to be a couple of the problems.

CSI 000002f8 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:30{15}]"regedit.exe.mui"

CSI 000002fa [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"xpsrchvw.exe"

Can you run regedt32.exe

I will look for replacement files, but check this Microsoft site that gives instructions on how to repair.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Last edited:
These seem to be a couple of the problems.

Can you run regedt32.exe

I will look for replacement files, but check this Microsoft site that gives instructions on how to repair.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Wow thanks for the support! I've read the article and understood how to replace systemfiles with elevated admin rights. It would be really great if you'd indeed find me replacement files! :D

PS. can't run regedt32 either. Same issue as with regedit.

Really appreciating this guys! Thanks!

Back