Windows 8 Remove windows 8 64 bit computer password?

pasadenapete

I have 2 machines both win8 64 bit. I need to remove the main computer password on one and install one on the other. Please help me. Thanks

Hi

If you know the current Win 8 login password, it's very easy for you to remove the password.

Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Click on the User Accounts and Family Safety link.

Click on the User Accounts link.

Click on Make Changes to my Account in PC Settings.

Click on Create a Password.

Now I'm guessing a bit, because I don't have a password and can't see what you will, but I believe that you will see a option to remove an existing password by typing in your existing password and clicking remove, at this point.

Hope this helps.

Mike

PS, I found this video...

How to remove Windows 8 password on startup - YouTube

I have 2 machines both win8 64 bit. I need to remove the main computer password on one and install one on the other. Please help me. Thanks

It would likely help everyone if you could tell us exactly what you mean when you refer to "main computer password".
Generally speaking we might associate this term as being used with your primary user account on a particular machine but it could also mean something you've done within the system BIOS to configure boot time security or perhaps the computer account with respect to a member of an active directory domain or even some third party software that you might be using.
So a clarification might be called for.

Additionally if you are using a Microsoft Account ID to authenticate then that password information is locked to that account usually your hotmail.com or outlook.com username and password and will need to be addressed through the account settings and not actually locally on your computer.

In any case I would recommend you create a second administrators group account or activate the default administrator's account before you find yourself locked out of your computer. Better safe than sorry.

I never have a password on any of my computers and I don't have one on Windows 8 either. If you don't have a Microsoft account you can have an ordinary Administrator account. The same as you do on Windows 7 and other versions of Windows where you don't have to have a password if you don't want one. Makes life much easier,then you don't have to worry about being locked out of your own computer!

Hi

I use a regular account too, the more independent of Microsoft I can stay the better.

I hate how everything from Windows and your browser to your software and games want you to log into an account to access anything.

I try not to log in to Google, or Microsoft if I can avoid it.

With games it's Steam now, you can hardly run anything without logging into Steam.

I can't even open my Adobe software without them wanting me to communicate with them, and upload data.

A lot of stuff won't even run without an internet connection anymore.

Mike

If you are the administrator of your computer and have an administrator account you don't need a password. Not on any versions of Windows. It's the same on Windows 8 and even other user accounts don't have to have passwords. If you are signing in with a Microsoft account, it's different, then you do. But just use an ordinary Windows account.

If you are the administrator of your computer and have an administrator account you don't need a password. Not on any versions of Windows. It's the same on Windows 8 and even other user accounts don't have to have passwords. If you are signing in with a Microsoft account, it's different, then you do. But just use an ordinary Windows account.

This is fine if your an advanced user and are used to dealing with settings like these. I wouldn't personally recommend this way of using windows to the average user not only that but you also lose some functionality using windows 8.

Well there is another administrator account on Windows that is hidden. Unless you enable it with a command prompt. I am not talking about that which in fact the real admin account. I am on the normal administrator account not the hidden one.

Well there is another administrator account on Windows that is hidden. Unless you enable it with a command prompt. I am not talking about that which in fact the real admin account. I am on the normal administrator account not the hidden one.

I think you are talking about a password that you use for signing in. As for the administrator account that is a separate password. I don't have an admin password but I do use my Microsoft account to sign in with. I have bypassed that. For the admin password I can just go to my bios and set one up there if I wanted. Not sure if all bios' is set up that way.

Capture.PNG

Hi

Yeah, I have a password on my Microsoft Administrator account, but not on the one I log in with.
I just don't use the Microsoft account, unless I have to for some specific reason.

Mike

I have a Hotmail account which I used to sign into Windows Live Messenger with before they retired it. Now Hotmail has been replaced with Outlook Mail which is very confusing to use. I mean the web mail Hotmail which is now called Outlook. Absolutely horrible. I won't use that to connect to my Windows PC.

My old Hotmail account is what I use. Outside of that I don't use it for anything other than that.

I use my Comcast email account, which I have had for years, and I access it using Mozilla Firefox.
I used Live Mail for a long time but had problems with it and switched to Firefox about a year ago.

Back