Windows 7 resetting a user profile

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
this is a learning center. The user profile starts out as default at the beginning class session. After the last class session, I want to reset it to default for the next class.

what users\profile\folders need to be saved and restored to insure per user app & system configurations are restored????

The documents, pictures, music, & videos are easy and obvious.

I tried all of them but some folders and files are not accessible - but these probably do not matter anyway.

Obviously, junction folders do not copy, and WER folder seems to have issues.

If there are other folders that do not effect the user/app interface, I can ignore all of those. However, I suspect they all do in some way.

When I restore the profile, any files that were not there originally will be deleted.

Since new folders can be created this could present an issue with the backup program I am using, but hopefully if I leave them the configuration won't be affected.

Any thoughts appreciated.

thx

Last edited:
My first suggestion would be to image the computer using either the built in Windows 7 tool or else a third party alternative there are several and some are well respected and free. My personal favorite is Acronis True Image which is a paid for commercial software but I believe does have a free trial offering if you would like to test it.
Other than that I would say manipulating the "Default" user profile is the other logical alternative, setting up the desktop with the shortcuts you want, downloads, documents, Music, Pictures, etc., This is the profile that all new users profile is based on, so at the beginning of classes a new user logs on and he is off and running with things pretty much the way you want them. At the end of classes that user and his profile can simply be deleted from the users applet in the control panel and you can start afresh with a new user.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
thanks Randy
image won't work cause that will change everything.
default profile won't work since I have a number of "users" and they are each configured differently.
Maybe one is the default configuration.

so far, copying everything except the junction folders and specific ones like the sqm folder seems to work, but I won't know for sure unless it stands the test of time.........................

You might check Windows Help and support and look for "fix a corrupted user profile". It describes what files to copy in to an established user to repair the profile. Maybe you could use that to renew a specific User.

thx saltgrass

that is basically what I am doing, except that some of ALL of those files don't copy very well because access is denied.
And trying to copy the local\application data\ folder results in a real mess.
It is a junction and if you try to copy it, it will give repeating sub folders.

I think the HELP might have missed the point RE junctions.

Back
Top Bottom