Windows 7 Restart after windows update causes font change

dc66

When I restarted my computer today. It came up with a strange font on the screen.

ScreenHunter_03 Oct. 04 22.22.jpg

This is not the first time this has happened. I do a system restore to a date earlier than the last windows update and it seems to clear the problem. Has anybody seen this and is there a way to fix it without a system restore?

Thanks

A Windows update would not normally cause such an event. Are you running any special fonts, or using any utilities that might alter the Windows default fonts? Do you know what update it was? You might be able to uninstall one at a time to see if a specific one corrects the problem.

An individual in another forum I'm also a member had a similar problem (Windows Secrets Lounge). Unfortunately, the original poster never posted back on what his solution was. Might be worth reviewing that post for possibilities.

I have a computer with the same problem. I can only add that it is switching to the Marlett font. It seems to do this after certain windows updates. I'd love to hear the solution it will change about 2 times per week.

As with dc66, Windows uses a specific font for most of it activities. It should change only if the required font is not present, or some utility is overriding that option, like an appearance utility. I will acknowledge, that on occasion strange things do happen, like the anti-virus which hid all the library folders.

Right click the desktop and select personalization, then Window Color, then Advanced appearance settings. Select something in the window that has a font associated with it. Does it show Segoe UI? If not, what does it show, and do they all use the same font.

Browsers have their own font settings but do not normally effect the basic Windows font selections. Language packs may be involved if you are using one of those.

If it is changing 2 times a week, what changes it back?

When I restarted my computer today. It came up with a strange font on the screen.

View attachment 16630

This is not the first time this has happened. I do a system restore to a date earlier than the last windows update and it seems to clear the problem. Has anybody seen this and is there a way to fix it without a system restore?

Thanks

I have a computer with the same problem. I can only add that it is switching to the Marlett font. It seems to do this after certain windows updates. I'd love to hear the solution it will change about 2 times per week.
Since this is the third post in as many days regarding this issue, I'm wondering if you might take a look at my post here and take a look at the linked microsoft knowledgebase article which seems to associate Windows Update and an un-named antivirus program. Just trying to determine if there is a shared common cause that we might link it too. What antivirus product are either or both of you using?
Thanks
Randy

Back