Windows 10 Right clicking on any drive in Windows Explorer minimizes.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This is a weird one, I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing in the morning.
If I right click on the root of any drive it minimizes Windows Explorer.

It doesn't crash, just minimizes to the task bar.

That stops me from looking at properties etc.

I can right click on any other folder or file just not the root of the drive.

I'm not that worried about getting it fixed, I'll be updating to the next version in a few days anyway, but if anyone knows what's happening, and how to fix it, I'll give it a try.

Mike

I'd be interested in seeing what's happening to Explorer using Process Monitor at the time of the right click.

Hi

Well I have Process Monitor on my computer but I don't have a clue how to get to the pertinent information.

After a few minutes running it's showing over 800,000 events and I don't know how to separate out what Windows Explorer is doing.

It adds stuff so fast you can't keep up with it.

This appears to be the time when I opened it, right clicked on the hard drive and it closed.
And I was wrong, it doesn't minimize it, it closes it.

Process%20Monitor%20Clip_zpsbn0gna3y.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Right click an entry by Explorer.exe and choose the "Include Explorer.exe" option. This will limit it to explorer.exe only. CTRL+E turns capturing on and off.

Hi

OK, I did that.

What I did was open Process Monitor, tell it to monitor only Explorer.exe, stop it, clear the list, and then open Windows Explorer and select the C:\ drive.

Then I started Process Monitor, right clicked on the C:\ drive in Explorer, and as soon as Explorer closed I stopped Process Monitor.

I can't believe that in .08 seconds it recorded 21,253 events.

I saved it as Logfile.PML to my desktop.

I tried opening the file in both Note Pad and Word Pad but neither will display it in a readable format.
It only opens in Process Monitor.

I don't know how I can attach a file to this forum that isn't a video or image.

Mike

The Upload a file button doesn't work? I would zip it first. It's meant to be open by Process Monitor :)

Hi

Never noticed the Upload File Button, I was looking on the bar at the top of the message. LOL

Here it is.

Mike

PS. I decided to go ahead and install version 10049 and it's in progress right now, so I'm assuming that this issue won't exist after the install.

But it you want to look at it, I'd be interested in what you see, but don't spend time on it if you don't want to.

Attachments

• Logfile.zip
    1 MB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Ah yeah let's see if 10049 fixes your issue before troubleshooting, it is beta after all. That log still has a ton of captures, really have to narrow it down to the right click and a few hundred events for it to be useful.

That's exactly what I was thinking, and Process Monitor should show what's going on, however since the program minimizes and does not crash, it may not show anything.

Hi

Well it's not a problem now, I have installed version 10049 installed and the problem has disappeared.
As far as I know I did't install anything related to the right click drop down, but I don't know for sure.

I did figure out that it wasn't minimizing exactly, the icon didn't have the little bar under it, but when I'd click on it, it would reopen where I left off.

Anyway now it's hang on until version 10051 I guess.

Mike

Hi

Well the problem returned after installing version 10049.
I decided that you were probably right about it being something on the menu that was causing it.

After a little research I found a program called ShellExView.
It shows all the options on the right click drop-down menu and highlights the ones that are not put there by Windows.

http://download.cnet.com/ShellExView/3000-2094_4-145729.html

It also lets you disable and enable them.

I went through and disabled all the non Windows ones and the problem went away.

Tomorrow I'll start turning them back on, one at a time until I find what causes the problem.
I was surprised at how many programs add things to it.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom