Windows 8 Same user, two user folders

BruceWin7

Is there something unique about Windows 8.1 as to why there would be two user folders on my hard drive. I discovered this by accident this morning.

I found the active folder that was updating my dropbox and onedrive folders, and I had to copy a file over from one user to the other that was not syncing, an apparent duplicate quicken file, but the save dates were different.

All I have is a clue that after I had been using it a day or so, I learned that itunes on the pc in question would not load because it said the folder was locked. After calls to Microsoft (because my first installaton had been moved to my onedrive folder), I determined that the 2nd itunes installation would not load because it was trying to share the same .itl with the other itunes installation on my main pc.

All that to say this; I I invoked the original restore point which made me have to setup everything again from scratch. So, I suppose the original user is still there even though I pulled in the restore? Or, is it some other reason?

Is there something unique about Windows 8.1 as to why there would be two user folders on my hard drive.
No, you should only have the user{S} that you put in + a "public" and hidden "default" folder used for bookkeeping tasks.

• a screenshot would help... what is the name of this other user and are you sure no one else could have made it?
      I I invoked the original restore point
    • be clearer please is the restore you did, a Windows one or just something 3rd party like itunes?
    • If Windows: The factory reset or the factory refresh... i.e did you try to keep your documents?

You may have some alternate data streams, IE symlinks, symlinkds and or junctions.
  1. Open a command prompt
  2. Type CD C:\Users <enter>
  3. Type DIR /R /A <enter>
Post the output

I solved it by deleting the user files that were not updating. For USSnorway, I did the windows reset, not the refresh. I did not try to keep my documents but apparently it did keep them.

I have one id in users that is my microsoft id. The other user is not valid as to the user setup by windows since it did the reset.

Back
Top Bottom