Samsung Magician Update

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Samsung Magician has been updated to 4.3 along with firmware updates too..

Samsung's caching technology unlocks an insane speed boost on select SSDs
One thing we didn't cover in Samsung's earlier unveiling of a 1TB 840 Evo mSATA solid state drive (SSD) is the immediate availability of the company's Magician (version 4.3) software. This is notable because it introduces two big upgrades to Samsung's current SSD product lineup, including RAPID (Real-time Accelerated Processing of I/O Data) Mode for Samsung's 840 Pro family of SSDs, and a security features for the company's Evo SSD line. It's the RAPID Mode that really excites us, however, as it offers a significant speed boost to an already insanely fast SSD lineup.

We touched on this technology in our examination of Samsung's standard size Evo 1TB review back in July, but to recap, what it does is a take a portion of the host system's DRAM and CPU and uses those resources for caching purposes.

"RAPID Mode performs host level read acceleration and write optimization by utilizing free DRAM system memory and is designed to dramatically increase overall PC performance," Samsung says. "Previously only available on the 840 Evo, bringing this to the 840 Pro will enable current and future 840 Pro users to achieve storage subsystem performance faster than the SATA 3.0 interface allows."

samsung_magician.jpg

What kind of speed boost? Samsung says by enabling RAPID Mode, users will see over 1,000MB/s sequential read speeds, or twice that of typical high-performance SATA SSD (and tens that of an average HDD), in certain situations. It achieves this by caching frequently used files in system memory. You can switch the mode on and off in software, but since it only requires 50MB of RAM and an 840 Pro or Evo drive to be activated, you might as well leave it on.

As for the security upgrade, the Magician software also enables TCG/OPAL on Samsung 840 Evo SSDs, It's a security specification defined by Trusted Computing Group that allows for better manageability and multi-level authentication.

Ref:
http://www.maximumpc.com/samsungs_magician_43_software_supercharges_your_840_pro_and_evo_ssds

Download:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/about/SSD840EVO.html

Thanks kemical. One question, I just got my 840 Pro in October. Can I upgrade the firmware in Windows, if it's on the ssd ? Or is it like my old OCZ and needs to be run from a os that's off the ssd ?

I update mine through the Magician software but I have the Evo model so unsure if it's different for the Pro model (I bet it's the same)

jdsk.jpg

Yeah, I knew about that. However, the download link you provided, also listed firmware updates after I clicked the 840 Pro link. It listed a firmware update that's a different number & newer than mine. Magician state's my firmware is up to date. I have firmware DXM05B0Q. Never mind it gave me a iso of what I have on my 840 Pro and a 840 EVO firmware on the same page. Weird.

Samsung has updated it's Magician software for it's SSD range to version 4.4:
Magician 4.4 features a number of improvements over version 4.3:
- New model support : 850 PRO
- RAPID v1.1
- PCIe SATA Card, Marvell chipset support
- Remove the UAC(User Account Control) alarm
- Retain the OS Optimization mode when updating the Magician
- Improve the operation speed of Performance Optimization
Ref:
http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...ads/Samsung_Magician_44_InstallationGuide.pdf
Download:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Samsung have released Magician 4.8 which is now compatible with Windows 10 meaning users can enable Rapid mode. Unfortunately Samsung has placed a limit on how many downloads a day and so currently it's unavailable until at such time this 24hr period is over. Pretty pathetic for such a big company but there we are..
Samsung SSD Support | Samsung SSD

Forum users can download a copy of 4.8 here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/.../Samsung_Magician...

Rapid mode bench:
rapid.jpg

Last edited:
Samsung has released version 4.9 of the Magician software for their SSD's:
Magician version 4.9 features a number of improvements over version 4.8: - New model support: Samsung 750 EVO SSD

Samsung has released version 4.9.7 of the Magician software for their SSD's:
New in Version 4.9.7
Magician version 4.9.7 features a number of improvements over version 4.9.6:
- Improved stability with some SSD models
- Update typo

Samsung has released version 5.0.0.790 of the Magician software for their SSD's:
New Samsung Magician Samsung Magician software, up until the version 4.9.7, has been an end-user application with a collection of features to help manage Samsung branded SSDs. With New Samsung Magician, it is aimed at providing a better user experience with a new GUI, feature-level update schemes. Samsung Magician software is developed and distributed exclusively for owners of Samsung Solid Sate Drives (SSDs).

New Features

New Samsung Magician features a number of improvements over version 4.9.7:
- Completely re-designed and more intuitive user interface
- New Models support : Samsung SSD 960 PRO, 960 EVO
- System Compatibility guide
- SSD model specific feature installation system : only required feature components are installed and updated

A new version of Magician is available, version 5.1:
(This also allows Rapid mode to be used with Ryzen chipsets as long as the latest chipset drivers are used)
New Samsung Magician Samsung Magician software, up until the version 4.9.7, has been an end-user application with a collection of features to help manage Samsung branded SSDs. With New Samsung Magician, it is aimed at providing a better user experience with a new GUI, feature-level update schemes. Samsung Magician software is developed and distributed exclusively for owners of Samsung Solid Sate Drives (SSDs). New Features
New Samsung Magician features a number of improvements over version 5.0: -
New features
 Performance Optimization based on Windows TRIM.
 Over Provisioning
 Data Security - Enhanced Security : Secure network communication between Magician and control server
Changlog PDF

A new version of Magician is available, version 5.2
What's New:
  • Latest version of Magician software is recommended for optimal performance.
  • New model support: 850 PRO 2TB, 850 EVO 2TB
  • Advanced Performance Optimization support for 840 EVO mSATA; New firmware is required to use Advanced Performance Optimization
Ref and download:
Samsung SSD Magician
(normally the Magician app is easily available from Samsung but they have a limit on how many times a day the app can be downloaded. The above link is simply another way of accessing the new app.

A new version of Magician has just been released.

Magician 5.2.1 is only available via your update tab on your current version of Magician (highlighted by the white arrow) :
sm.jpg

Changlog will be posted on release.

It's not showing 5.2.1 on that area in Magician on my pc.
It's just saying I have the latest version 5.2.0
I'll recheck it later tonight to see if it changes.
As stated above, link and changlog will be posted when available to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom