Windows 8 Samsung series 9 slow boot after crash

filthyPierre

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

I have a Samsung NP9000 model NP900X4C-A05AU. It regularly crashes due to full memory. It has 8G of RAM, running Windows 8.1. It's done this since day 1 - I managed to remove some Samsung bloatware that mitigated the problem somewhat, i.e. from once a day to three times a week. Mostly, just before it happens I get the "close some programs or lose some data" message, and I can possibly kill something (chrome usually) to free some memory so I can reboot cleanly. Usually at this point, the "Modified" section of the Task Manager Memory usage tab is quite big. Reboot and it's good for another couple of days.

Sometimes the "close some programs" message is too late... I get the message and almost immediately Windows crashes and reboots. Up until last week, this didn't cause any issues after the reboot. But last week, it did this, gave me the message and immediately crashed. It took about 1 hour for it to reboot, sitting at the "please wait" dots. I was in the process of making a recovery USB to boot from when it finally came to life. Everything seemed ok, was able to start things up, and carried on as usual. Couple of days later, get the "close some programs" message, and am able to reboot. But the laptop takes 5 to 10 minutes to reboot. Up until I had this issue, a reboot would take 5 to 10 seconds (to get to the login prompt). Even a reboot after just rebooting takes 5 to 10 minutes. I've run scans on my SSD, it says everything is ok. Every reboot now takes 5 to 10 minutes.

Any ideas? Everything looks like it should, at least that I can tell.

Cheers,

FP

If it's done it since the day you bought it I'd have taken it back to the retailer. How long have you had it and is it still under warranty?

Well, this is not a hardware issue; something running uses up all available memory, at which point Windows sends a warning to close some programs or risk losing data (i.e. if it crashes). Usually I have time to perform a manual reboot, but occasionally, and this is what is causing my current issue, it crashes immediately, before I have time to perform an orderly shutdown.

For some reason, after the crash, Bluetooth was enabled (it wasn't before) and disabling it again make the reboot take only a couple of minutes now (2 or 3), not 5 to 10. But it's still a long way short of its snappy 10 second boot of before.

Hi

You could add some ram, but this shouldn't be happening on a fairly clean computer.

It might be helpful to open Task Manager and look at what's using up the memory.
But the following is what I would do...

First if you don't already have it installed install CCleaner and run it.
I run CCleaner at least once a day, sometimes more often.

After it's done run the registry cleaner app in CCleaner.

Next open the Tools tab in CCleaner and look at what is loading at Startup.

On my computer I'm only running 6 of the 36 applications that Windows would load by default.
This can make a really big difference.

I'm only starting things that I need to have running from the get go, i.e services related to my video, sound, webcam, network connector and in my case Rocket Dock, and Classic Shell.

CCleaner is a great way to do this because you just have to click or unclick to activate or deactivate the programs. You can always change your mind.

Next install and run Malwarebytes, and see if it finds any adware, PUPs etc, that could be slowing things down.

Next, install Defraggler, run it and make sure that the hard drive is defragmented.

The nice thing about Defraggler is that once you do the initial defrag, (which can take quite a while) you can defrag only the fragmented files on a daily basses and keep it clean in only a few minutes.

Last go through the Uninstall a program and look for things that are installed that you don't use.
You might want to install Revo Uninstaller, it does a more complete job of uninstalling things.

I'd be surprised if doing these things didn't make a difference in the way that your computer performs.

http://www.piriform.com/promo/cclea...5iwLYVayLyO07OFl87-OyNmEjlYoVp-lIEaAh0x8P8HAQ

http://www.piriform.com/DEFRAGGLER

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4_...d2OUM-NIhN0YKKQC54oqW8d8M41ID8AG4oaAjaE8P8HAQ

Mike

Back