Windows 7 SBS BSOD c000021A

azler

I hope this is the right forum but I think my error is fairly generic across all the windows OS's.

I have found myself is a fairly irritating position.

My SBS 2008 server has failed and causing me a whole lot of pain in the process.
There was a fairly comprehensive backup plan in place, Acronis image (Daily), Windows image (Daily) and Bexec.
The last DA test we did worked fine and I was able to restore the acronis to a VM and boot.
Now we have actually had an error none of the backups work! All with the same error code on physical hardware and within a VM.
The error is:
FileDownloadHandler.ashx

Steps taken:
Restore to VM
Load SBS media to do system repair (It prompted for password for the user Administrator. Didnt know it as it was SBS with AD we used a different account.)
Load offline NT password, Enable Admin and blank password
Load SBS media to do system repair, sfc scan & chckdsk
Made some reg tweaks so it didnt restart when it BSOD (Still cant get it to make a memory dump though.)
All returned no errors and fine.
One restart the same error.
Tried all the F8 options, All with the same error. Even safe mode!
In safe mode it stalls at ClassPNP.sys and then straight to the BSOD screen.
This folder is empty:
C:\Windows\System32\catroot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\
& This one does not exsist:
C:\Windows\System32\
I copied these files from a PE environment to the C drive to at least try and get it to boot.

I have had to re-install the server from scratch to get it up and running but some settings I need fromthe VM as I just figured I would be able to restore from a previous backup.
Tried:
Chckdsk + sfc both completed detecting any errors.
I backed up the bcd and made a new one with bcdedit + figured out how to use the above two commands.
bcdedit /set {default} nointegritychecks on
bcdedit /set {default} testsigning on
Restarted same error.
Restored the original BCD and added the above two commands but still the same error.
I tried the article from HP and it hangs on CRCdisk.sys then goes to BSOD.
CRCdisk.sys points to a failed disk being the issue but how can this be so when its a VM?
Can I disable this from trying to load to bypass it?

Rob

Hi Rob,
when you ran chkdsk did you apply either the /f or the /r in the command line? This allows chkdsk to find and repair broken sectors and the command line is like this:
chkdsk /f /r
The Bugcheck itself is quite unusual or at least to me it is and so I did a little searching and found this post which is quite informative which may prove helpful:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...em-error/549075f8-f695-4047-b747-2b4e118e1ffd

I booted into a Windows 7 PE mode, Right click on the driver, Properties, Tools & ran it from there.
I checked both options available and ran it.

I have run it from the cmd in a previous attempt and i am sure it was the same result but I think this is a new restore since then so I will try running from CMD if you think it will make any difference? Just annoying it takes 9 hours to run every time..

I will read that post for ideas.
Thanks.

Sounds like you already ran it if checked both options. No dump file being produced could be down to no page file or issues with the storage device. To be honest though my experience regarding this scenario is limited and I'm going to ask one or two folk to take a look over this issue.

Thank you I appreciate it. I have been very persistent with it and invested a lot of hours so far which normally I would have given up but with it being a SBS there is still some stuff I would like to retrieve.

Do you think this is a windows issue or because im trying to migrate it to a vm?
Does the CRCdisk.sys before it BSOD mean anything to you?

Rob

crcdisk.sys
This is actually the disk block verification filter driver and may mean you have a failing drive or the back ups your using has an issue/bad sector whether it's disk or faulty USB drive.

I cant see it being either..
If it was a faulty disk that broke it in the first place I would expect that error. But not it is a vmdk file which has had chckdisk ran on it it should have resolved that issue?
& the VM does not know its booting off a USB drive as vmware workstation should mask that into thinking its a local IDE drive?
Which is why the error is so confusing. Is there a way to bypass that check?

As you say the USB drive is like a virtual disk and that's probably how the machine 'see's' it but if there's something wrong with the media initially that would relate to whatever was contained in the virtual disk.. Saying all this though is mere speculation as it could easily be a third party app behind it all.

I would suggest it being a 3rd part app but without any mini dumps I cant figure out what.
Yea the USB3 is just external storage where the VMDK file resided and vmware workstation just points to that.

I do have other VM's running from the USB this way and they work fine.

I'm arriving a little late to this thread but it is pretty interesting.
Did this 2008 Small Business Server begin life as a VMware workstation virtual machine or had it been running natively on its' own hard drive?
If a normal install on it's own hard drive, why didn't you use the Acronis image and restore it to a new hard drive?
If a VMware workstation VM, did it have any checkpoints / snapshots?
The only thing I would suggest at this point as you have stated that "none of the backups work" any longer.....
Is to find your latest complete .tib file (Acronis True Image Backup) install a new hard drive into the machine, boot from the Acronis Rescue Media and attempt a restore from that.
Often times the rescue media will work when all other attempts within a running OS might fail.
Then if you want to generate a VM you might try the VMware Stand Alone Converter http://www.vmware.com/products/converter
It's the only utility I've ever used with any success.
Converting a .tib to a VM has never worked for me. I've only been successful once when converting an actual running machine into a VM..... only once and it wasn't a server to begin with.
The errors you are experiencing is likely the fault of a mucked up conversion.
Good luck and I'd certainly be interested in hearing if you have any success at all moving forward.
Regards
Randy

You are not late to this thread at all! The more input the better.
The 2008 SBS started life as a full production server happily working away.
I was away when it all went tits up so someone else had to try and figure this out until I returned. From what he has told me it was a scheduled reboot and when it came back online it was BSOD'ing (Not that he can remember what the message was..) and he quickly went to the previous full nightly backup which threw up some more errors about driver signing and was still BSOD'ing. He then went back to the latest backup we have I think it was 5 days previous and same story. (To me everything pointed to failed hardware.)
As he could not get the server backup and running he quickly did a fresh install and set it up / Mount the data again which was stored on a separate volume. It was a raid 1 setup so I cant see a failed disk causing this unless it the was raid config that went wrong..

Anyway when I returned and got all the information I had a million question / things I wanted to try but the server was running the temp solution and all I had was the latest backup.. So that is where I am now.

That is an interesting concept about the acronis restore to VM... I will try a restore to its own disk and try to boot that. If that works or fails I then might try to p2v it with synternals tool to a vhd file. Then try booting it with Hyper-v and see if I have any more joy. If its a corrupted conversion this should resolve that error. But If I get the same error then I guess its something while its trying to boot windows. I have used the Vmware standalone converter but I cant boot into the system to install it so I cant use it.
It also says it can convert a .tib file but apparently the one I have is not supported because the Acronis software is too new.

Rob

I have already done that and managed to pull the raw files outs which I can.
I want to boot from it to export other configuration settings which you cant do from the raw file system for specific programs / services which were running on it.
A new server is on order and I am hoping to be able to set it up which the exact settings it was working on before and not the temp measures we used to get some service back.

I have restored to a physical disk and get the same error as I did last time:
ntoskrnl.exe Driver verification error (even the f8 disable checks returns this.)

As its must easier to run as a VM for testing I have converted to a vhdx file and imported to a hyperv on my windows 8 laptop. Currently a chckdsk is running which takes about 8 hours.
I have booted to the install CD and system repair is missing? which is was there last time.

I remember is asking me for a password to the Administrator account when enterting recovery mode which I didnt know so I had to reset and once done that option was there.
Can rememver if that was before or after:
This folder is empty:
I copied these files from a PE environment to the C drive to at least try and get it to boot.

I have done this so many different ways now I cant remember what worked and what didnt!

Sfc did return some errors but does not output a log. which I manage to set around and it looks to be pending renames in the winxsx/temp folder..

The battle continues.
Rob

I want to boot from it to export other configuration settings which you cant do from the raw file system for specific programs / services which were running on it.
I don't suppose you might have an older backup (Acronis .tib) say from a weekly or monthly backup schema that may have the configuration / settings / services info but is less recent than the ones you've been working with.
Just a thought.
Some people keep such a backup just for worse case fall back scenarios.

Unfortunately this was not the case due to storage and it was decided that a full week of full backups would be fine as any older would be useless with Ad changes / The exchange stuff that was running on in. Not how I would have done it but I didnt design the backup system..

Right I am now pretty much back where was was at the start! But on Hyper-v Sigh..
Hyper-v is making some stuff fairly easier to its not all bad news.

The main issue I noticed this time was a lot of issues with corrupt drivers. I have gone through and replaced all the corrupted ones with ones from a working SBS install and this folder is empty:
I am now back up to this error:
FileDownloadHandler.ashx

There is still no startup repair manager when I boot to the sbs disk and when I manually start startrep.exe it just says it is unable to fix the issue. (It did ask me for a user name and password which showed this but it is not doing for some reason?)
Even though I now have the default admin password.

So I have ruled out a bad disk / drivers & am booting to safe mode.
What else could cause this error? / Copying the files to {F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} cause any issues?

Last edited:
Mismatched system files can cause this error. The corruption may lay in the back ups you've been using.

I feel it might.
Whats the next step in troubleshooting this?
Could it still be a driver issue?
I cant get it to produce a ntbtlog.txt file to see the last driver loaded..

This is seriously driving me mad now. The system was working and online when this backup was taken.. So I cant see if being an issue which would prevent it from loading.

Rob

Back