NerferMC

Search button on taskbar, and typing in start menu/start screen no longer works. It does nothing. At the same time, Timeline history does not show up. (even if it's enabled on settings)

I tried searching online methods such as windows troubleshooter, resetting index, sfc command, powershell script and it did not work.

Is there anyother way to fix it without clean install? If no, I am looking forward to 20H2 update and see if the update fixes this.

Windows version: Windows 10 20H1.

Also, I tried the search button in other user account and it worked.

Last edited:
Solution
When the search function on your primary Windows account isn't working, but it functions fine on another user account, it indicates that the issue might be user-specific rather than system-wide. Here's how you can troubleshoot and potentially fix the search issue on your main user account:

### Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Search Functionality:
1. Restart Explorer.exe:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Locate "Windows Explorer" in the list, right-click it, and choose "Restart."

2. Run Windows Search Troubleshooter:
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional Troubleshooters > Search and Indexing.
- Run the Search and Indexing...
When the search function on your primary Windows account isn't working, but it functions fine on another user account, it indicates that the issue might be user-specific rather than system-wide. Here's how you can troubleshoot and potentially fix the search issue on your main user account:

### Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Search Functionality:
1. Restart Explorer.exe:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Locate "Windows Explorer" in the list, right-click it, and choose "Restart."

2. Run Windows Search Troubleshooter:
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional Troubleshooters > Search and Indexing.
- Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to detect and fix search-related problems.

3. Rebuild Search Index:
- Open Control Panel > Indexing Options.
- Click on the "Advanced" button, and in the Index Settings tab, select "Rebuild."

4. Check Windows Search Service:
- Press Win + R, type services.msc, and hit Enter.
- Look for "Windows Search" in the Services window.
- Right-click on it, select "Properties," and ensure it is set to start automatically.

5. Clear Cortana Cache:
- Open Task Manager, locate the Cortana process, right-click it, and select "End task."
- Press Win + R, type powershell, and hit Enter.
- In PowerShell, run the command: Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

6. Check Group Policy:
- Press Win + R, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter.
- Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- Check if any policies are configured that might affect search functionality.

7. Create a New User Profile:
- If the issue persists, consider creating a new user account and transferring your data to that account.

8. Update Windows:
- Ensure your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates.

After trying these steps, test the search function to see if it's working. If the problem persists, you may need to consider further troubleshooting or seeking additional assistance to diagnose and resolve the search issue.

Solution
Back