security windows 10

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I picked up 9 trojans at once with Win 10 defender and stock firewall at youtube while trying to read about a clean install of Win 10.
I have windows defender and firewall with mbam and a router.
Is there a more secure solution for a mid level user like me or was I just unlucky when I took that hit.
I have googled for hours about a/v and firewalls and am more confused now than before. I always though the stock windows was fine until the trojan attack. I also liked the lack of attention I had to pay to the windows features. I do not configure the firewall as in advanced as I cannot.
Good thing for mbam which quarantined them and removed them.
What to do?

I am going through the trial. I had the free for years but uninstalled and reinstalled about a week ago so it will expire. Do you think the difference is significant?
I was running the trial which is complete when I got hit with the malware.

The trial version offers the same level of protection as the paid, but will drop down to a on-demand scanner after the trial expires. Honestly there are better free AV/AM suites available the WD which still doesn't score that well in tests (around 7.5/10) Avira or AVG are far better free products if you're not wanting to spend money.

The trial version offers the same level of protection as the paid, but will drop down to a on-demand scanner after the trial expires. Honestly there are better free AV/AM suites available the WD which still doesn't score that well in tests (around 7.5/10) Avira or AVG are far better free products if you're not wanting to spend money.

>>I agree with the test results. I was looking for a comprehensive package that contains a firewall. I have comcast so Norton's suite is available for free. But it still has the resource stigma.
If you chose Avira, would you get another firewall? It reads as though AVG is both A/V and firewall.

I use Webroot which is a great product and the lightest in terms of resource usage. If you go with the IS+ product $44 per year right now it also includes a firewall which actively notifies you if something new is trying to communicate out. The $44 gets you three device license which also works on Android.

" I am going through the trial. I had the free for years but uninstalled and reinstalled about a week ago so it will expire. Do you think the difference is significant? I was running the trial which is complete when I got hit with the malware. "

just outta' curiosity … where did you download your copy of mb3 from? and how many computer hours did you log from between the time you installed mb3 and the mayhem of alerts appearing? if you d/l mb3 from cnet or other warehouse … something coulda' slipped through the pipe-stream.

you might try out mb's free anti-rootkit … might be a worthwhile sentry to keep on hand.

You are right - I should have gone to mbam for the download.
I do not recall the time lapse.
It seems all the versions have a rootkit you can check off as it is not defaulted.
I wish the free one had real time protection but only the puny Defender has it. I would use avira mbam paid and rootkit firewall if $ was no object but mostly I want all interaction with Windows to run smoothly with no hiccups..

Back