Windows 7 Serious Win 7 Home Premium Problem

llamaPC

Yesterday my PC was running very slowly so I rebooted, only my PC has never fully rebooted since then. Every time that I attempt to use Win 7 it crashes after I reach the desktop.

I can run in Safe mode with command prompt, and I have backed up all of my files this way on an external hdd. I do not have a restore point, but I do have restore discs that I made right after I purchased the laptop (Gateway NV79).

The problem is, I tried to do a full factory restore, and in safe mode, it says that I cannot do this from safe mode and if I want to restart. I have put the restore disc 1 in and it wouldn't work for the longest time and now today it finally worked.

The problem is, that it cannot (or won't) acknowledge that it is the restore disc, is always stuck at 0% copied, and then asks for the disc again after about 10 minutes of being idle.

Is there any other way that I can restore my PC without having to buy a Win 7 disc ?
I am running out of options here, and I will need my PC for finals next week.

Any help is appreciated.

-llamaPC

So you cannot start up in normal safe mode? If you could, you might be able to find a driver, or some misbehaving software, that is causing problems.

Many Laptops come with a built in recovery partition to re-image the drive to factory settings. It may need to be reached using an F8 key or some other combination if you have one. Check the website or your users manual.

So you cannot start up in normal safe mode? If you could, you might be able to find a driver, or some misbehaving software, that is causing problems.

Many Laptops come with a built in recovery partition to re-image the drive to factory settings. It may need to be reached using an F8 key or some other combination if you have one. Check the website or your users manual.
Normal safe mode loads but it is very sluggish, and I am not sure that I can access the Internet.

It was giving me a BSOD but then after I got into safe mode, I uninstalled the last program that I installed before the problems and now I just get a black screen after it loads for like a minute. It is almost exactly like if I was hard resetting the PC.

Alright, an update since I tried to run the restore function:

It seems that it didn't help at all, but it removed whatever loads Windows.
Now I get a screen that labeled "Windows Boot Manager"

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To Fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible."

Any chance your hard drive might be going out?

Did this computer come with Win 7 install originally?

You can download a rescue Win 7 disk from here. If you download it and burn as an image you should be able to boot to the CD and use the repair options.

Can you hit F8 during boot and reach the Win 7 repair options? The situation your system is in now does not make much sense, which is why I was thinking possibly a hard drive problem. If you get into the repair options, try a startup repair, and you may have to run this as many as 3 times.

Last edited:
Any chance your hard drive might be going out?

Did this computer come with Win 7 install originally?

You can download a rescue Win 7 disk from here. If you download it and burn as an image you should be able to boot to the CD and use the repair options.

Can you hit F8 during boot and reach the Win 7 repair options? The situation your system is in now does not make much sense, which is why I was thinking possibly a hard drive problem. If you get into the repair options, try a startup repair, and you may have to run this as many as 3 times.

Yeah this computer came with Win 7 oringally installed on it.
Ok, I'll give this disc a try and see if it helps.

I certainly hope that it isn't a hard drive issue, this laptop is only about 3 months old now.

Going back to Gateway and asking them, especially if it is that new might be a good thing to do. I see they have e-mail support or perhaps there is a user group on the site.

They also might be able to send you Win 7 discs if you ask.

Back