Windows 10 Setup has detected that xxx USB Display is currently running.

Dan2855

I tried to uninstall a USB to HDMI adapter to reinstall it because it was not working correctly. I recieved the message above. I disabled it and tried again to uninstall it. Same result. I removed the program using regedit. Same result. I know the adapter works correctly as I tested it on another machine. What do I try next?

The computer in question is a HP Elitebook running Windows 10.

You may have some old conflicting USB devices still in the registry or blocking resources. To view and remove them, go to Device Manager --> Show Hidden devices

Look for devices no longer connected or duplicate entries. You can safely remove pretty much any of them because the ones still connected will be reinstalled automatically or when you reboot.

Thanks. I have resolved the problem with the comminities help.

I have just bought the same adaptor, my computer recognises it, but nothing is actually happening.
Did you get yours working? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

You may have some old conflicting USB devices still in the registry or blocking resources. To view and remove them, go to Device Manager --> Show Hidden devices

Look for devices no longer connected or duplicate entries. You can safely remove pretty much any of them because the ones still connected will be reinstalled automatically or when you reboot.
Any other ideas? I tried this to no avail. I'm having the same problem Cova is having. It's there and running, but nothing from the monitor that it's hooked up to.

Hello. I also have the same problem. I have the usb to hdmi adaptor. I try to install the driver, and it keeps saying "uninstall has detected that xxx usb display is currently running." I have tried everything. Device manager, hidden devices, i scoured the internet for information and videos. This thread is the only thing I can find on anything on this subject. I am very very frustrated. Any information will be appreciated and/or how you resolved it. I am on a Surface pro and hooking it up to a brand new tv. Thanks

Hello. I also have the same problem. I have the usb to hdmi adaptor. I try to install the driver, and it keeps saying "uninstall has detected that xxx usb display is currently running." I have tried everything. Device manager, hidden devices, i scoured the internet for information and videos. This thread is the only thing I can find on anything on this subject. I am very very frustrated. Any information will be appreciated and/or how you resolved it. I am on a Surface pro and hooking it up to a brand new tv. Thanks
I ended up emailing the vendor. They sent me a link to download an updated driver. I clicked on the link, dodged 3 anti-virus warnings, installed it and when it asked for a restart, I did that, and it never started again. I had to reinstall windows.

Any update on this? Basically have the exact same issue as the others. Was able to stop the flickering of the monitor icon (program restart) by relaunching the program again (XXX USB Display). Program will stop and then you can uninstall it. But anyone have luck on actually having this work on Windows 10?

Hi,
I solved it on my laptop.
It was really annoying.

In Device Manager, after deleting xxx usb driver, go into display adapters. You will see 3 MS Idd adapters , additional to your intel/nvidia adapters; uninstal all the ms idd ones. Then uninstall xxx USB display.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mohitkshah (See post Jun 19, 2020)

I spent some time on this, saw the MS IDD adapters but didn't risk removing them. Was able to uninstall afterwards when I followed your advice. I also stopped the windows usb display in Task Manager because it seems to run on startup even if the adapter isn't plugged in.

There are about 10 others with the same issue on this forum, I guess we all used Amazon. So the vendor has created at least ÂŁ150 revenue on this one unworkable product in the last month. It's probable that only a small number of users found this forum so s/he could have turned over much more cash. The stores my vendor traded under were
LIDEDE
DELILI
WARRKY
MOSOY
CHEERACE
I'm going to notify Amazon and claim a refund. If a few others do the same Amazon may do something. I have a friend whose business was nearly destroyed by someone faking his brand and it took about a year to get something done.

Cheers,

Kumar

Hi,
It was really annoying.

In Device Manager, after deleting xxx usb driver, go into display adapters. You will see 3 MS Idd adapters , additional to your intel/nvidia adapters; uninstal all the ms idd ones. Then uninstall xxx USB display.
[/QUOTE]
No problem to uninstall. But the taskbar icon keep flickering (same to my mouse cursor). And the third monitor just doesnt able to be extended.
Need help :(

I ended up emailing the vendor. They sent me a link to download an updated driver. I clicked on the link, dodged 3 anti-virus warnings, installed it and when it asked for a restart, I did that, and it never started again. I had to reinstall windows.
Thanks for the info. :O

I really need to know!
How was your problem resolved?
Any update on this? Basically have the exact same issue as the others. Was able to stop the flickering of the monitor icon (program restart) by relaunching the program again (XXX USB Display). Program will stop and then you can uninstall it. But anyone have luck on actually having this work on Windows 10?
I have just bought the same adaptor, my computer recognises it, but nothing is actually happening.
Did you get yours working? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.
Hi people. I've got same problem with just 1 of 3 identical PC's. And solution was simple - reinstall\update video drivers of Intel\Nvidia\AMD. Looks like this software does not works well on systems with multiple videocards.

UPD: Worked for a couple of reboots. Then it broke again. But i have found a solution once more, hope it is ultimate: I have Intel and Nvidia adapters in PC, and in Nvidia control panel "Autoselect of video adapter" is checked. I chose "Intel" instead of "Autoselect" and TA-DA : adapter is working again and no reboots break it again!

Last edited:
yea got this damn problem too. Recently bought a USB to VGA adapter for cheapzz and had 2 problems. It requires the downloading of some iffy af file xxx USB Display which isnt a virus (yet). It works, HOWEVER, only like 5% of the time. Most of the time it just the icon just flickers on and off like some sort of virus. BUT the good news is Blue2s method could work to ensure that the adapter can reliably display most of the time and eliminate the flickering. You'd just have to change the preferred graphics settings in the NIVIDIA control panel to integrated graphics. Your problems dont stop there tho. Even tho the adapter can effectively display, no sound will be transmitted so videos will be muted. Overall, I guess what u pay is what u get

Hi people. I've got same problem with just 1 of 3 identical PC's. And solution was simple - reinstall\update video drivers of Intel\Nvidia\AMD. Looks like this software does not works well on systems with multiple videocards.

UPD: Worked for a couple of reboots. Then it broke again. But i have found a solution once more, hope it is ultimate: I have Intel and Nvidia adapters in PC, and in Nvidia control panel "Autoselect of video adapter" is checked. I chose "Intel" instead of "Autoselect" and TA-DA : adapter is working again and no reboots break it again!
I try the update tips and it's working! Thank you so much!

Btw, is anyone having trouble when changing the second monitor(the monitor that is connected with the usb-hdmi connector we're talking about)'s display orientation? My second monitor won't turn to portrait or portrait reverse. They're only like zooming the lanscape display. Also, when I try to set the display orientation to lanscape reverse, the orientation is not changing at all.

Last edited:
Hi,
It was really annoying.

[/QUOTE]

dont know if you got my prior post. i tried your process. now i deleted the MS driver first, then the 3 MD idd adapters disappeared on their own. However, still unable to remove the APP - xxx USB driver.
ugh

Back