Windows 7 Show In Groups?

sirloyne

Banned
Has anyone found a way to sort files and folders alphabetically yet? I have my music on an external hard drive. I have a folder for every artist, and in those folders there’s a folder for each album. The only thing on this hard drive is music. In Windows XP, I could sort by name and show in groups. This way everything was kept alphabetical, all the “A” bands were under “A “, all the “B” bands were under “B”… With Windows 7 I get gigantic chunks of A-H, I-P and Q-Z. I have over nearly 600 folders on this drive. Grouping all those folders into 3 giant blocks is nothing short of useless. Is there any way at all to sort like XP?

So I'm guessing that sorting folders alphabetically is too much for Microsoft's latest and greatest?

The sorting capabilities can do many things, especially if used together is some fashion. I, for one, do not have the music library to test configurations.

In my trials, I did not see a way to change A-H to just A. It probably depends on the number of entries, but I can only guess.

The sorting capabilities can do many things, especially if used together is some fashion. I, for one, do not have the music library to test configurations.

In my trials, I did not see a way to change A-H to just A. It probably depends on the number of entries, but I can only guess.

I notice you can sort by "35mm focal length", "f-stop", "gender"(?), "height"(?), "mileage"(?) or even "other p.o. box"... but alphabetically was just too much? Who thinks of this stuff... and how much of a bonus for a job well done did they give themselves? It kills me how people jump on my case when I say just how bad Windows 7 is, but when you see things like this...

I've finally found the answer. My problem was that I wasn't looking outside the box. All it took was for Microsoft to create and then ignore a problem, and then just let someone else fix it.
First there's Explorer++. Then there's CubicExplorer. I like them both. The best thing about CubicExplorer, is that you can actually use the search feature, unlike 7.

Back
Top Bottom