Windows 7 slow transfer rate lan and wireless :(

TrueGrime

hi,

I have a desktop and a laptop computer. my desktop had win7 64x for a while and today i installed win7 64x on my laptop. so my desktop is connected via Ethernet to the router while my laptop is connected wireless. so i began transferring big files from the desktop to the laptop and that went at the rate of 1.5mb/s which makes transfers not feasible. so i thought that this was due to wireless and so since my desktop is connected the router via Ethernet cable, i unplugged it from the router and inserted it into the laptop thus creating a direct connection between the 2 computers. well, the first problem that popped up was the unidentified network problem. I spent about 6 hours trying to fix that, reading forums and everything but no fix, but at least i managed to make the 2 computers see and access each others drives. so i began the transfer again and it went at 1.5mb/s again... what to do?

Thank you

First do you have all the network adaptors drivers installed and updated? and you cannot connect both computer directly unless you have a cross over cable.

First thing to do is check the settings on your network cards and wireless adaptors...

Most important is that your hardwired connections are set to autonegotiate for 100mbps networking.

Check the status of each adaptor on your desktop to confirm it's running at 100mpbs not 10.
Check the status of the wireless on your laptop to confirm you're getting 50mbps.
Check your router settings to be sure it is enabled for 100mbps cable and 54mbps wireless.

That's correct, wireless doesn't run at 100mbps.

This should give you transfer speeds between 4 and 6 megabytes per second for most files which is what you can reasonably expect when transferring to and from wireless devices.

First thing to do is check the settings on your network cards and wireless adaptors...

Most important is that your hardwired connections are set to autonegotiate for 100mbps networking.

Check the status of each adaptor on your desktop to confirm it's running at 100mpbs not 10.
Check the status of the wireless on your laptop to confirm you're getting 50mbps.
Check your router settings to be sure it is enabled for 100mbps cable and 54mbps wireless.

That's correct, wireless doesn't run at 100mbps.

This should give you transfer speeds between 4 and 6 megabytes per second for most files which is what you can reasonably expect when transferring to and from wireless devices.

how do u set hardware to auto-negotiate?

i checked the network speed on both my computers, my desktop was at 100, but i found my laptop wireless to be at 21mb/s, not knowing how to change it, i messed around and enabled "enable Intel connection settings" in the wireless properties dialog window, that changed the speed to 54 mb/s. however transfer rates stayed at 1.2 mb/s. my laptop wireless card is Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN. I went to my router settings but couldnt find anything relating to transfer speed. my router is speedstream 6520.

Thanks for your response.

how do u set hardware to auto-negotiate?

Control Panel -> device manager -> network connections -> Right Click on your network port -> properties -> advanced.

While you're in there you might also try enabling flow control (both RX and TX).

In your router... Is your wireless set to 802.11g mode?

Also keep in mind that 54mbps is only about 5.4mBps ... b == bits, B== bytes. network wise a Byte is 10 bits, I know, really dumb way to measure things, but that's how they do it.

i checked the network speed on both my computers, my desktop was at 100, but i found my laptop wireless to be at 21mb/s, not knowing how to change it, i messed around and enabled "enable Intel connection settings" in the wireless properties dialog window, that changed the speed to 54 mb/s. however transfer rates stayed at 1.2 mb/s. my laptop wireless card is Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN. I went to my router settings but couldnt find anything relating to transfer speed. my router is speedstream 6520.
Thanks for your response.

You fastest transfer speed will always be less than the slowest connection... You've got a bottleneck in there somplace, the task is to find it....

well i did enable rx and tx but still going at 1.2 mb/s and i couldnt find the wireless mode in the router. anyways am gona have a network techie from the company here at thurs and ill let him worry about this hehe. appreciate your help.

Hey my pleasure...
It might be helpful if you post back and let us know what your techie discovered...
I'm always looking for new tidbits of information to store in the old memory banks.

Back
Top Bottom