Windows 7 Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Problems - Upgraded from XP

TheYtsejams

Hi all,

I upgraded today from XP to Windows 7 and am using a 27-inch LCD as my monitor. I previously was able to use a larger resolution in XP without an issue, but with Windows 7, I'm confined to a 1024x768 resolution, which looks terrible.

W7 says my graphics driver is a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." I'm not sure about my graphics card, but I believe it may be embedded in my tower, which is an older Dell model. It's listed as an Intel(r) 915G/915V/910GL graphics chip. I've searched for new drivers on Intel's site, without any luck. I tried downloaded the latest driver for that family for Vista (they don't have a Windows 7 update) and it didn't do anything.

Is there a better solution out there that doesn't involve simply breaking down and buying a new graphics card? I find it difficult to believe that XP could allow me a higher maximum resolution than Windows 7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -- my display looks pretty terrible right now. Thanks!

Visit Dell's website page for your model and they should have a video driver for you to install. Right now, you don't have any installed at all, besides the generic/basic one applied with Windows install. That's the reason for your problem.

Sometimes, you can get the driver straight from Intel either manually or letting the website scan for you to find latest drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?iid=gg_support-EN_01+home_downloadctr

Btw, Dream Theater is awesome. Been a fan and jamming their music on guitar since '93. :)

Appreciate the help -- I still can't get it fixed. Intel scanned my computer and determined the driver, but it appears as if the driver isn't supported by Windows 7.

Graphics — Older Intel

It said I could try to install a Windows XP driver, but that it wouldn't guarantee success. I did download the XP update and try it, but my computer wouldn't install it.

So, I'm kind of stuck at this point, which is frustrating. Any other ideas out there?

Since Intel quit supporting these onboard graphics chipsets back in 2007, even Vista is not supported, the only other option is to install a separate video card.

Your motherboard should have a PCI-E graphics card slot on it. You can download a free application called: S.I.W. (System Info for Windows).

It's a very handy app which is free for personal use and will tell you what slots are available on your motherboard. The following download is a standalone so no install is needed.

SIW is an advanced System Information for Windows tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings and displays it in an extremely comprehensible manner. SIW can create a report file (CSV, HTML, TXT or XML), and is able to run in batch mode (for Computer Software and Hardware Inventory, Asset Inventory Tracking, Audit Software Licenses, Software License Compliance).
The system information is divided into few major categories:

• Software Inventory: Operating System, Installed Software and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Installed Codecs, Software Licenses (Product Keys / Serial Numbers / CD Key), Passwords Recovery.
  • Hardware Inventory: Motherboard, CPU, Sensors, BIOS, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers.
  • Network Information: Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections, Open Ports.
  • Network Tools: MAC Address Changer, Neighborhood Scan, Ping, Trace, Statistics
  • Miscellaneous Tools: Eureka! (Reveal lost passwords hidden behind asterisks), Monitor Test, Shutdown / Restart.
  • Real-time monitors: CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.
SIW is a standalone utility that does not require installation (Portable Freeware) - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from an USB flash drive, from a network drive or from a domain login script.
SIW can be distributed freely (ftp, archives, CD-ROMs ...).

SIW Without Installer (English-Only) Link Removed - Invalid URL Download

You can get an inexpensive video card for around $40-50 at Newegg.

Here's a nice little ATI Radeon Card for $39.99 plus $1.99 shipping.

SAPPHIRE 100264HDMI Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

I'd still try a clean install as per microsoft instruction when upgrading from xp. You could try running the driver under compatibility mode..

A clean install "may" help, but I doubt it. Your hardware, re: monitor is crippled because the drivers are not available for Windows 7 for the Intel Graphics chipset onboard your motherboard.

You'll never be able to fully utilize the monitor's full capabilities until the video issue is resolved. Even if you can get the resolution better, the AERO interface will not be available.

Bite the bullet, get an inexpensive video card, disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS and you'll be a LOT BETTER off in the long run, plus you'll be able to enjoy all the features of Windows 7.

~Nibs

If the user wishes to still keep using 7 regardless of graphic issues then a clean install is highly recommended. Upgrading from xp is a big no,no and almost always the user ends up re-installing anyway.
We do have a thread similar to this one and i can't remember if it was resolved or not.. I'll do a little searching.

If the user wishes to still keep using 7 regardless of graphic issues then a clean install is highly recommended. Upgrading from xp is a big no,no and almost always the user ends up re-installing anyway.
We do have a thread similar to this one and i can't remember if it was resolved or not.. I'll do a little searching.

Sorry, I used confusing terminology here. Windows 7 *was* clean-installed on the machine. When I said "upgraded" I just meant that I moved to a new OS. My fault on that.

As for the graphics card, I'm going to head out today and look for a new one. I've never installed one before, but most tutorials online make it sound pretty simple. Anything I should know, as someone without much hardware installation experience?

Thanks for updating.. :)

Tips on installation... Beware of static as it can kill hardware. You can ground yourself by touching the side of the case before handling any parts . Make sure you have plenty of room for the new card and that power requirements are fully met. If your buying a budget card then this isn't as important as a high end model.
If you have any further question then please ask..

As for the graphics card, I'm going to head out today and look for a new one. I've never installed one before, but most tutorials online make it sound pretty simple. Anything I should know, as someone without much hardware installation experience?

Basically they're just plug n play. Be sure the card is fully seated into the socket and square. Be sure to unplug the power cord also, you don't want any trickle power running on the motherboard when installing the new video card. Be sure to disable the onboard video chip from the BIOS also, then download the latest driver version for the brand of card you purchased.

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll see a noticeable difference!

~Nibs

Back