Windows 8 Start Menu in Windows 8: Start8 Video Review

In this review, Mike Fara at Windows8Forums.com shows you some of the features of Stardock's Start8. With this software, you will be able to bring back the "Start Menu" from Windows 7 and prior Windows versions, without any significant performance overhead.

Last edited:
I gave it a try and found it does the job but I then found startw8 which has one of my favourite features - it's free ;)

Pat,

Free does not = necessary, just you have a clear understanding. This things are a person yen but, Win8 does work beautifully, even, w/out them, too.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Well, as you gentlemen know, I seem to have impeccable timing as of late. No sooner than I made this video, Stardock released version 1.1 of Start8, which requires a re-download and does not work with the auto-update feature.

New in this update:
• Added drag and drop support (including rearranging items in All Programs)
• Added support for renaming items in All Programs
• Added support for displaying pinned folder items via jumplists
• Added support for custom locations (like linking to Dropbox)
• Added option to open Winkey+X menu instead of classic or Modern start menus
• Added additional start button images
• Additional UI language support(ar, cs, de, fr, ja, pl, pt-br, tr, zh - see lang\en.lng)
• And more!

Existing users click to download v1.1 or click here for the full changelog.

As for pat's interest in free solutions, I am sure many of them are amicable and work just as well as Start8. And as for Drew saying you don't need a Start Menu add-on for Windows 8, I think many older users who are hitting the curve are just really annoyed by the fact it is not there. I know quite a few people who are consistently insisting "It is designed for tablets" and refuse to use it. I cannot sell them on it at all because of this widespread rumor and misinformation... I think leaving some form of Start Menu in for the desktop mode would have prevented this problem quite a bit.

Last edited:
I think many older users who are hitting the curve are just really annoyed by the fact it is not there.
Absolutely - the root mentality of the average IT professional/enthusiast is, "Don't tell me it can't be done!"

I'm older & don't want it :)
Not annoyed, @ all, had quit using it long before Windows 8 :)

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Back