Windows 7 Start Menu Order + Catastrophe

CtrlAltDel

Hello,

I need help with my start menu order. In the Taskbar and Start Menu Items dialogue under Customize Start Menu I have *Sort All Menu Items by name* unchecked.

Regardless of this, my All Programs start menu will not maintain the order that I choose to put it in. I run the box as an administrator and I am the only user of the computer and have no other user accounts other than the one Administrator account that I use and the Guest account, which is turned off.

The folders in the Start Menu seem to maintain their modified order that I arrange them in until I delete a random icon in one of the folders or use Add/Remove programs to remove a program or install a program that adds an icon or folder to the start menu.

At this point, all folders and icons go back to alphabetical order. Then I have to painstakingly drag each folder back to the order I wish it to be in and then open each folder and rearrange all the icons inside each individual folder back to an order that I prefer.

I have renamed all the folders to designations that are useful to me such as:

Utilities
Registry
Security
Audio
Video
Graphics
Internet

and they just will not maintain that order, they always revert back to alphabetical order. I can't tell you how many times I have had to drag and drop all the folders, and all the icons within those folders, back to a position that I like having them in.

When I changed the names of the folders, I simply went to the start menu button and clicked on it and then went to All Programs and scrolled up to each individual folder and right clicked and selected Rename. I thought this was the correct way to do it.

If I have left out any pertinent information I will be happy to supply it.

Thank you,

Altie

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 537s
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 2603 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB

I also had this problem, solved renaming folder with numbers:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

I dont know if it is matter, but I did the changes in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and C:\Users\(myUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folders

I also had this problem, solved renaming folder with numbers:

I dont know if it is matter, but I did the changes in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and C:\Users\(myUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folders

I have done the exact same thing, Nabucco. I had to resort to numbering my folders like this:
1Utilities
2Registry
3Security
4Audio, etc...

That works for the folders.

But, for me, the icons inside each individual folder do not maintain their order.

Do you have this problem also? I would hate to have to number each individual icon within each folder.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

No, I have no problems with the shortcuts. But maybe my Windows already works well and really I do not need the numbers in the folders...
Or perhaps do you use CCleaner? In Ccleaner I see an entry "menu order cache", is it unchecked?

But, for me, the icons inside each individual folder do not maintain their order.

Sort All Menu Items by name is not supposed to apply within item groups, unfortunately. Try making those item groups READ-ONLY.

No, I have no problems with the shortcuts. But maybe my Windows already works well and really I do not need the numbers in the folders...
Or perhaps do you use CCleaner? In Ccleaner I see an entry "menu order cache", is it unchecked?

Yes, I do use CCleaner and have already checked and double checked to make sure that "menu order cache" is unchecked. They don't seem to reorder themselves after running CCleaner but, on removing or adding an icon within one of the folders.

Thanks for trying to help,

Altie

Sort All Menu Items by name is not supposed to apply within item groups, unfortunately. Try making those item groups READ-ONLY.

Okay, that is definitely worth a shot. I will check them off as read only. Unfortunately, the folders rearrange themselves also, not just the icons within the folders.

But, I will try your suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion, Cybercore, but it didn't help any. This is very aggravating. It basically messes up my whole user experience. You know, the start menu is how you navigate and it just won't do right.

Perhaps you should adapt to the changes that have brought us Windows7.
I have the 15 programs I use daily pinned to the bar, another 25 that I use frequently pinned to the start menu and the remaining into the 10 folders that I put in my previous post.

Really, there are few shortcuts remaining for each of these folder, so it does not seem very important to sort them. In fact, these shortcuts are rarely accessed (for example, you do not use the PDF reader shortcut, you generally double-click a PDF file).

Thanks for trying to help, Nabucco. I have just decided to be done with it and number everything.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 566
Just what Microsoft thinks about it:

microsoft said:
Thank you for your question. Please see Working with files and folders for details on working with files and arrangement. However the change in Windows 7 that you described (manually arranging files within folders) is by design. If this is something you would like to have changed, please feel free to leave your suggestion with Windows 7 Feedback.
Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Answers Community.

Back