Windows 7 Start menu pinned items gone!

jbbuena

After much deliberation, I finally decided to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I breezed through the upgrade installation process but strangely, the programs I had pinned to the Start menu prior to installation were no longer there. I tried to customize this via the taskbar properties but I couldn't find the option for setting the default internet browser and default email client like in Vista. (I'm not even sure if there is one!)

Moreover, the list where your recently opened programs appear is gone as well but this was probably due to the fact that I had them disabled in Vista. I am of the opinion that perhaps, the configuration just didn't carry over to when I upgraded my operating system.

The Privacy section of the Start Menu tab in the taskbar properties are all grayed out as well, and so is the start menu size option. Any thoughts?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
No it didn't for both my XP and Vista upgrades. I had to customize my start menu, and add "shut down" to my button, then my privacy options came up to check. I also had to customize shortcuts on my desktop.

No it didn't for both my XP and Vista upgrades. I had to customize my start menu, and add "shut down" to my button, then my privacy options came up to check. I also had to customize shortcuts on my desktop.

That's it! This reminds me. I removed the Shut Down option on my start menu via gpedit.msc. I'll see if reenabling it will solve my problem.

I have these three enabled under User Configuration > Administrative templates > Start Menu and Taskbar:

• Remove and prevent access to Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands
  • Do not keep history of recently opened documents
  • Remove user name from Start Menu
Edit: By reenabling, I meant setting it to Not Configured.

Last edited:
I tried setting them to Not Configured last night but I'm still having the same issue. I set the Remove and prevent acces to Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands and the Do not keep history of recently opened documents back to its default value which is Not Configured but the Privacy section is still grayed out as in the screenshot I've posted above.

Back