Windows 7 "Starting Windows" no animation

afinita

I have and am posting from a 64 bit version of Windows 7 on my newish tablet.

The problem I am running into is my older self-made rig. It is running a 2.2Ghz AMD Opteron, 2 gigs of ram, with nothing else that is not required plugged up (except ethernet) and WinXP Pro

When I tried booting from the 64 bit install disc, it would boot up to "Starting Windows" and the animation would kind of start to play. All I would get is a red dot marking the beginning of the boot screen's animation. Nothing happened for around 4 hours(heh). I decided to try the 32 bit version, so downloaded and burned it... No luck from boot, same thing happened. Decided to start the installation from within XP(Can't with the 64 bit, apparently) and it got to where it needs to restart, then the same thing happened again.

Anyone else having this issue or have any suggestions? I took a picture of the screen and wouldn't mind uploading it if my description isn't good enough.

Thanks for reading!

I am plunging in the dark here, but, there seems to be nothing wrong with your specs. I would suggest, for starters, you examine your bios settings, particularly any you may have concerning the graphics. It should not be a factor, in the first stages of the install, but what graphics card do you have?

I too am encountering this same issue. I've only tried the 32 bit version, but it hangs the moment the animation starts. I end up stuck on a black screen with the words "Starting Windows" It does not proceed further.

System Specs
Asus A8R32-MVP motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 - 3000+ CPU
1.5 GB RAM
ATI X1600 Graphics

I know my disc is good, because I had a successful install on my notebook. A Gateway MX7525.

Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also whenever I try to play a video with GOM Player, the comp freezes.

Well I think I fixed it for me, I had an external HD connected so I shut it off before restart and it works now.

Still haven't fixed the GOM Player problem yet.

Last edited:
To answer another poster, my vid card is a geforce 7950.

Right now, the only thing hooked up into my machine is a USB mouse/keyboard, and the power cable =P

I've unhooked my secondary harddrive to no effect, so right now I am down to the essentials: the video card, the DVD drive, the RAM sticks, and the HDD where it needs to be installed.

I'll try switching hard drives(Been wanting too, anyway) to see if that'll help any, thanks for the idea heh

[EDIT]

Nope, changing out the hard drives didn't help. Only other thing I can think of is the USB verses PS/2 mice/keyboard, or something to do with the processor.

I'll go over bios settings a few more times, though.

Whomever called video card wins!

I changed my video card to a no-name brand one from an old HP tower.... and bam, it boots. Not good, hopefully after full install my 7950 will work, using this 64MB ugly thing will make me want to kill myself.

Last edited:
hello there, what i have is similar to this..
in fact after installing virtual drive clone... the animation at the start up was gone..and all i get now is the normal vista start up..
everything works fine.. i just lost the animated start up ...

Same thing, different hardware..

So, I've just built a computer a day ago, and I've got the same situation, but different parameters leading to the problem. Setup goes to start, and locks up at the logo, before it gets about 6 frames in.

Booting via USB drive. AMD Phenom x3, ATI x700 graphics card, ps2 keyboard/mouse. Not much else.

Also, of note, XP, 98, Even Ubuntu won't start up by CD...

So, could it be the graphics card? Do I just replace it to fix it? What do I replace it with?

Thanks... :D

I too am encountering this same issue. I've only tried the 32 bit version, but it hangs the moment the animation starts. I end up stuck on a black screen with the words "Starting Windows" It does not proceed further.

System Specs
Asus A8R32-MVP motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 - 3000+ CPU
1.5 GB RAM
ATI X1600 Graphics

I know my disc is good, because I had a successful install on my notebook. A Gateway MX7525.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

I finally got it working. :)

After trying everything else, (no usb devices, different VGA cards, checking settings in bios, yelling and screaming, etc) something told me to try a BIOS update.

So I flashed the newest version of my BIOS, and then Windows 7 installed fast and with no issues.

So here's another thing to check, make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Back