Windows 7 Streaming Video Lag on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

RhettRO55

Ok so heres the overall breakdown of the problem.

Computer 1 Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Main desktop, games, music, TV shows.
ASUS PN5-E SLI
Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz
4GB DDR2 800 Ram
GeForce 8800 GTS
320GB HD Main Drive
320GB HD Games
500GB HD Music
1TB HD TV Shows

Computer 2 Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo 2.0 GHz
1GB DDR2 266 Ram
ATI Radeon Mobility X1300
100GB HD

Computer 3 Windows XP Media Center 2005 32 Bit
Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz
2GB DDR2 800 Ram
ATI Radeon HD2650 XT

I recently swapped out motherboard, ram and CPU on computer 1 from an old config to the current setup previously stated.
The tv shows drive hasnt changed from the old setup but now whenever I try to stream an episode of a TV show from this computer to ANY other computer, after a few seconds there is lag, it goes away and then comes back after anywhere from 30 secs to 1.5 mins. It happens whenever I try it on any other computer, Laptop, HTPC, other computers in the house etc. The desktop itself can play the videos fine with no problem whatsoever. They can even stream movies from the HTPC without any lag/problem whatsoever. This problem didnt exist whenever all PCs had windows XP installed (Laptop had media center, desktop had XP Pro and HTPC had/still has Media Center). I havent installed 7 yet on the HTPC for fear of the ffact that the problem may follow me there as well. I consider myself very savvy and able to fix almost all problems but I'm not sure what to do in this situation. I havent set up a homegroup yet because for some reason the functionality seems broken on the laptop, so I just made standard shares across my network. Any ideas/thoughts/inputs?? All hardware drivers have been updated to 7 verified 32/64 bit versions so I dont think that could be the problem.

Seems like more of a network problem. Have you tried power-cycling your router or changing it's channel?
To power-cycle it, unplug or turn it off for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.
To change it's channel, give us your router make and model.

We live somewhat out in the country and are on the very last rings of DSL capability so power cycling the router and modem is a daily if not every other hour-ly occurrence. Its a standard POS Westell provided by CenturyTel and the router is Linksys WRT54G standard.

More ram than 4 gigs just to stream a TV episode? Even when it was working perfectly under XP with 2 gigs and a crappy AMD X2 cpu?? Im grateful for suggestions but that just seems a little out of the realm of reasonable.

And it seems odd or it to be a network problem when the entire network was able to stream the videos the way I wanted to previously when the only change was the OS (more or less). Im just curious if there is somethhing I've missed as far as a config on the desktop.

Back