Windows 7 Suddenly can't install anything.

Win+r, regedit
navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
rename MachineThrottling to _MachineThrottling

Almost silly how simple of a fix that was.

Found in this thread:
Windows Installer Crash : Windows 7 Miscellaneous : Windows 7 Beta : Microsoft TechNet Forums
Yes this worked for me as well. Bizzarre. Does anyone know what this registry setting is actually doing? BTW, for the person who claimed that their laptop was working fine a few posts ago ... it sounds like a 32-bit install you're running and I think (can anyone confirm?) that this problem is isolated to 64-bit installs.

Confirmed this fix worked for me too :)

No, the problem is not isolated to 64-bit installs...I was affected on all 3 of my 32-bit installs

Last edited:
OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU. That's amazing! Works like a charm for me too now! Now I get to play all of my games again :p

This happened to me yesterday. To solve this I did a roll-back using System Recovery in W7 64=bit and all's well again. Windows Installer is working again and so is access to Windows Update, which had also started to act up. On trying to open Windows Update, Windows Explorer started to crash every time. Try using system recovery and roll-back to a install that brings back Windows Installer.

I think my new post about Adobe Reader uninstall crashing is related to this. I also cannot install .msi files, cannot start Windows Update.

In response to S11Tech, I don't believe I have any or the suggested hardware elements in common except an Intel 6600 CoreDuo processor. Also not using AVG.

It also sorted out my problem when writing a mp3 to an audio cd using win media player (automatic conversion), media player would cause explorer to crash and that was that. . Haven't bothered with nero yet

And did you do the rest..................?

1. Delete the string values (Except for (Default)) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
  2. Start gpedit.msc
  3. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.
  4. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.
Yes, doing the above WILL disable the anonymous usage data (CEIP), but until Microsoft fixes the issue and issues a hotfix or a new build I don’t see any other options to ensure the issue does not occur again.

And did you do the rest..................?

1. Delete the string values (Except for (Default)) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions
  2. Start gpedit.msc
  3. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.
  4. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.
Yes, doing the above WILL disable the anonymous usage data (CEIP), but until Microsoft fixes the issue and issues a hotfix or a new build I don’t see any other options to ensure the issue does not occur again.

I did this way, hope that it's permanently solved.

Thanks for the feedback for this problem!

:D

Usually the Simplest solutions are the cause. W7 needs a certain partition size to operate in. If your hard disk 'C' partition is getting nearly full then you'll get these sort of problems. Unless you've changed the default parameters don't forget in addition to the OS and data you might have on the C drive another 4GB or so will probably be used for system paging.

When you do a Windows update all the old stuff is "archived" so for large updates you could be using a LOT of hard disk space you don't know about. If there isn't enough it'll crash.

I'm not saying this is your problem but it's worth a look. I believe Microsoft recommends a minimum 24 GB for Windows 7.

I've installed Windows 7 on at least 5 machines now without any major problems - and been able to install most applications (except those which have known incompatability).

Cheers

Jimbo

Last edited:
There is a simpler fix to the problem, published by MS, that should appear automatically in the Action Center messages if you have reported the problem to MS. If not, here it is.....

Solve a problem with Windows 7 beta
An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.
To solve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button Link Removed - Invalid URL, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
  2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Link Removed - Invalid URL In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f
  4. Press Enter to install the solution.
  5. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.
I can't verify that it works, because I used the fix from this thread before the above was released. But I assume it does because it looks like it achieves the same thing with a single command.

There is a simpler fix to the problem, published by MS, that should appear automatically in the Action Center messages if you have reported the problem to MS. If not, here it is.....

Solve a problem with Windows 7 beta
An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.
To solve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button Link Removed - Invalid URL, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
  2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Link Removed - Invalid URL In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f
  4. Press Enter to install the solution.
  5. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.
I can't verify that it works, because I used the fix from this thread before the above was released. But I assume it does because it looks like it achieves the same thing with a single command.
Well basically, this is just about the same fix in the registry everyone has read about in this topic. I followed these actions AFTER I already did the registry rename which had the same effect, so I think the solve of microsoft is just the same as the registry key rename (which fixes the problem also).

hi,
when i try to use regedit, the UAC pops up, asking me if i want to allow the program to makes changes to my computer.
i click yes and then all i can see is the language bar, so windows doesn't do anything, after a while of waiting, the bar closes and i go back to my desktop, it doesn't open regedit (and i tried this, it doesn't open any program using UAC)

what do i do?

Back
Top Bottom