Windows 7 System restore for calibration error

Fenway16

Honorable Member
Not sure if this is the right place for this question. Yesterday I had a pretty good calibration of color between monitor view and printing outcome. Today, for some unknown reason, I decided to calibrate the monitor to see if I could get even better outcome. Well, guess what - did not have the expected results and now my prints are faded and washed out. If I do a sys restore, will that affect the monitor settings (hardware) or is it all about software - in which case, I would think sys restore would work. I may have answered my own question but wouldn't mind some input from the forum. Thanks very much.

The monitor settings have nothing to do with printing. What prints out is based on the data in the file you are printing. If the colors look bad it's going to be an issue with the printer itself

Thanks. Hmmm.. Everything printed fine yesterday - all colors as I had put into Photoshop image. Then I made some adjustments to the calibration menu - the next time I printed everything looked terrible. If you make any changes to your system - which a calibration change is - then system restore should reset to the way it was before calibration. Seems to me. Perhaps I should reset monitor to factory settings. That would get rid of the current calibration that I did - Do you know what I do to reset? Thanks again.

Thanks. Hmmm.. Everything printed fine yesterday - all colors as I had put into Photoshop image. Then I made some adjustments to the calibration menu - the next time I printed everything looked terrible. If you make any changes to your system - which a calibration change is - then system restore should reset to the way it was before calibration. Seems to me. Perhaps I should reset monitor to factory settings. That would get rid of the current calibration that I did - Do you know what I do to reset? Thanks again.
The printer probably came with a cd or DVD with software to set it up, do you still have that? Or try the manufacturer's support page.

If it's an inkjet printer the faded color can be the result of low toner or a clogged nozzle

The monitor settings have nothing to do with printing.
In a backwards sort of way, they do.

Digital artist/photographers do indeed calibrate their monitors to their printers. This is so what they see on the monitor matches what they get on the printout.

Many factors come into play, including the quality of the ink (always use genuine for consistency), color profile set in the printer, and the type of paper. Also make sure your monitor has been on for at least 30 minutes so it is fully warmed up before calibration.

Note when I look in Control Panel for my Printer Properties > Color Management I see "Calibrate display".

With photoshop and similar programs (especially when working with real-life subjects) you have to calibrate both the monitor and the printer.

Google: photoshop monitor and printer calibration

Note that this is so important because monitors and printers display images so differently. Printouts "reflect" light and monitors "project" light. For a good explanation of what is happening, see this 13 minute video, Calibrate Your Monitor for More Accurate Color Printing.

Thanks to all and especially Digerati. Guess I wasn't explaining it well. I didn't think the calibration was off by much but the output was terrible-I am just an intermediate photo person and thought I should calibrate just to make sure output was the best I could get. Huh! Should have left it alone. Anyway, I had just installed brand new color cartridges so knew that was ok-the printer was plenty warmed up. The paper may have been the culprit. It's possible in my haste to get a job done, I didn't choose "photo paper" in the Canon print setup menu and possibly it was defaulted to regular paper. At any rate, I printed another one out this morning on different paper, choosing photo paper in menu and the output looks fine. I will look at the video for a little more knowledge than I currently possess. Thanks again.

Glad you seem to have it sorted out.

Note I said to make sure the "monitor" was fully warmed up before calibration. It does not seem to matter with printers.

Back