Windows 7 System restore made things worse!

angelkisses416

Was having minor issues with my laptop - Sony Vaio, just a little over a year old, no histry of problems...the screen would flicker sometimes when left idle for a few minutes. Then on startup screen would be completely black... This started a little over a week ago. Also a week ago started when you pull the wall power out and go to battery power the screen would go black, as if in sleep mode. Would have to press power button and things would resume from login screen. So decided to do a system restore. First system restore date chosen was less than 30 days old. Told me that it was unsuccessful and to choose one from a previous date. So choose one that was a little over 60 days old. Said it was successful and needed to restart to install updates. When restarted again I got a ton of error messages before the logon screen and several more after logging in. The last error message said something about not being able to access the desktop, access denied, press continue to have access to the desktop...press continue and the only icon on the desktop is the recycle bin. Try to access folders and programs from Start menu, click on them and nothing happens. When select programs folder from start menu, only a few items are available (like 3 or 4) and clicking on them gets no response. CTL+ALT+DEL does nothing. Restarted, shut down, turned on, several times and still same result. Started up in safe mode, all icons are back and accessible, ran virus scan in safe mode, nothing..., restart, same problem. I have no access to anything, programs, files, pictures, documents, internet, from regular start up mode. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it without losing files? If I do have to reinstall Windows 7 can I do so without harming my files? The only things that I do not have backed up are my pictures, which I really do not want to lose. I tried to back them up in safe mode and could not get that to work. I did not make recovery discs (idiot, I know)...but I do have the Windows 7 disc if I need to just reinstall, I just really do not want to lose my pictures. Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

Was having minor issues with my laptop - Sony Vaio, just a little over a year old, no histry of problems...the screen would flicker sometimes when left idle for a few minutes. Then on startup screen would be completely black... This started a little over a week ago. Also a week ago started when you pull the wall power out and go to battery power the screen would go black, as if in sleep mode. Would have to press power button and things would resume from login screen. So decided to do a system restore. First system restore date chosen was less than 30 days old. Told me that it was unsuccessful and to choose one from a previous date. So choose one that was a little over 60 days old. Said it was successful and needed to restart to install updates. When restarted again I got a ton of error messages before the logon screen and several more after logging in. The last error message said something about not being able to access the desktop, access denied, press continue to have access to the desktop...press continue and the only icon on the desktop is the recycle bin. Try to access folders and programs from Start menu, click on them and nothing happens. When select programs folder from start menu, only a few items are available (like 3 or 4) and clicking on them gets no response. CTL+ALT+DEL does nothing. Restarted, shut down, turned on, several times and still same result. Started up in safe mode, all icons are back and accessible, ran virus scan in safe mode, nothing..., restart, same problem. I have no access to anything, programs, files, pictures, documents, internet, from regular start up mode. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it without losing files? If I do have to reinstall Windows 7 can I do so without harming my files? The only things that I do not have backed up are my pictures, which I really do not want to lose. I tried to back them up in safe mode and could not get that to work. I did not make recovery discs (idiot, I know)...but I do have the Windows 7 disc if I need to just reinstall, I just really do not want to lose my pictures. Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

You can boot from the win 7 dvd and do a repair install without loosing your pictures.

Ken J

Back
Top Bottom