Windows 10 System Thread Exception Not Handled (igdkmd64.sys) problem again

silverman

Honorable Member
Last December whilst updating my main computer from Windows 7 to windows 10 I received the above error message. Thanks to kemical help the problem was traced to:-

Last time it was resolved by down loading the following:-

Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 7*, 8.1*, 10 (3rd Gen & BYT)

And most importantly removing the previous version.

I have been running windows 10 since then and in the last four months I have received a great many updates that have been addressing a number of issues. About four weeks the start up in the mornings seemed to be incredibly fast. And on a few occasions it did not start first time (about twice a week) it was not a great problems, so I did nothing. All of a sudden two days ago I found that after about 4-5 min I was faced with the System Thread Exception Not Handled (igdkmd64.sys) problem again. It counts down to 100% and then remains on screen. I seem to recall last December it have me some choices, but nothing happens even leaving it for several hours.
Surely it cant be the Graphics card again? I don't seem to be able to select safe mode to do any checks either.
If I just press reset, it boots up again normally with no problems, but within 5 min the message come back again.

Any suggestion please?

As a point of interest my processor is as follows.:- Intel 3rd Generation core i5-3570K CPU (4x3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6mb Cache Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

I have a Laptop, that I am currently using and another PC all running Win 10. - about 3 days ago this Laptop the same thing happened. It only did it once, but seems to running OK (Touch wood)

Hi Silverman,
sorry to hear your issues have returned. Can you post the actual dump files please as this will help to determine if it is the actual gpu driver or something else causing it to crash.
You can use the app found in the thread posted below to gather the data:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

Surely it cant be the Graphics card again? I don't seem to be able to select safe mode to do any checks either.
If I just press reset, it boots up again normally with no problems, but within 5 min the message come back again.
It's possibly the gpu driver again but seeing the dump file will help. You may have had a driver update amongst the updates you received and this could be the cause but again checking the dump file will help.
This guide will help in booting to safe mode as it's slightly different in Windows 10:
4 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 10

Hi kemical, great to have you on board, I have allocated tomorrow to try and solve this issue. (if all goes well) I did play around with getting into in and out of "safe mode" it seems reasonably easy with Widows 10. I gained access and one of the first thing was a pop up box saying (This app can't open - Get Started can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign up with a different account and try again.) I am assuming I will have to use possibly have to try a Microsoft account, and password.
Hope it's a simple as that.
I will see how far I can get in the morning.

Hi Silverman,
if the pop up occurred whilst you were in safe mode then it could be that it's safe mode that's stopping the app from opening. In safe mode certain apps and drivers won't work as they normally would. It could also be your security policy settings but first let me know where it happened.
Please post your dump files, they can be collected using the app found in the thread I linked to above. To run the app right click on it and run as administrator. Post any results

Hi kemical,
Only just started, had a bad start to the day.

I have downloaded WF7 and opened as administrator, when I tried to run it My Norton programme said it was unsafe and deleted it. I still have the Zip file but can open as an administrator now. Any suggestions.

To be honest Silverman I would have asked you to remove Norton in any case. It's well known for causing issues and is a good starting off point if your experiencing issues.
Please use this Norton removal tool:
Uninstall your Norton product using Norton Removal Tool (NRT)

Just use the on board Defender for now as you can always re-install Norton at a later date.

Just before you replied I think I have managed to get the zip file of dump files, it worked the second time. I hope it's complete. It did not show an email address for me to sent it to, who should this be sent to can you tell me me the email address

Sorr for any confusion, I did not pick up the fact that I needed to post it back to the Forum, Does not help that my computer only runs for about 5min at a time,

Somthing has pappened since I went through the process of creating the dump file, The computer has remained operational for almost an hour. I was going to take you advise about removing Norton. I have been concerned for some time thyat Norton is no longer compatable with FireFox, Edge and others. I think Chrome & MS Internet explorer are the only ones that are usable with Norton. I am now considering it from all my computers. I will leave it for a while and see if it shuts down any more. It normally only runs for 5-5 1/2 minuites at a time.
Will you be sending me the results ofd the Dump Files I sent?

Spoke to soon, it just shut dowm after about 1 Hr 10min.

If I remove Norton using the link you sent will Defender switch itself on? of not how do I do that?

HI Silverman,
apologies but I had to nip out for an hour or two.

If I remove Norton using the link you sent will Defender switch itself on
Yes.
Will you be sending me the results ofd the Dump Files I sent
Unfortunately the zip files must have been messed up because you've posted the actual app not the dump file.

Don't forget you can grab the dump files yourself. Open the main Windows folder and look for a folder marked minidump. Zip up the contents and post.

I have removed Norton and switched on Defender. Obviouslt Norton has not been completly removed, it keeps reminding me about re-installing.
No trying to the the dump files again. it seems to be taking some time, but will send as posible.

Thanks kemical

TYou said this time right click on it and run as administrator, I did this and the one I am now doing I have done it again, it seems to be taking ages to complete thisd time. I have to pop out for about an hour, so will see what happened when I get back.

Thankd for your help.

kemical

this is is a copy of the files for today (16th May) would sending any of these help?

Back shortly

Attachments

• dump files 160516.JPG
    dump files 160516.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 352
Whick one/s do you want? Its started to crash again every 5-6min. Does not giove me much time

Back
Top Bottom