Windows 10 Tell Cortana where I'm at?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

If I open the Weather app, it knows where I am and gives the correct weather.
If I ask Cortana about the weather she give me the weather for someplace 50 miles away.

Why does't she know where I'm at?
Anyone know if there is a way to update her location information?

Mike

Hi

I have bad news!!!

I found a web page that suggests how to tell the Windows Map App where you are at.
It says to Ask Cortana "Where am I?" and then it will give you a opportunity to put in your information.

So I tried that, though the information is about Cortana on the phone.

Well, I have to tell you that according to Cortana and the Windows 10 Map App, I'm in the Rosedale Memorial Park Cemetery.

Map_zpsqehe0tgh.jpg

Boy, I know the day was coming but this is sooner then I expected.

Mike RIP.

I still haven't found a way to tell Windows 10 where I really am!

Last edited:
How funny I just checked mine and she says I live in a Family Dollar store about 2 miles from my house!

Gee, I did it and it hit me right on the money, I wish some of the other problems were this easy. Like my scroll and this reducing my scan to this level. Funny it reduced it but when I posted this it posted okay. My screen just jumps to what ever zoom level it feels like, very annoying.

Never had this problem with Win 7.

Do you have GPS in your device? I don't so it may have something to with using where the IP server is located. Even though it showed a Dollar Store it May have just put the location mark as the center of town where the server is located.

I'm guessing that it what's happening.
But Google knows exactly where I'm at, this isn't even in the same area code or city!

The thing is that it should have the ability to let you set the location at least to the city that you live in.
You may not want them to know your street address anyway.

This isn't close to where I live.

Mike

Strange I have a ASUS T100 with Win 10 on it. Tried the same thing there and was right on the mark. There has to be something we're missing.
So neither have GPS the DT or the TAB, DT is wrong, Tab is right.

Back