Windows 10 Terrible wireless speed.

Chucktin

Yuck! While I'm waiting to get the house network drops installed I turned on wireless. OH MY GAWD. I think a slug is slowe6 buy I'm not sure.
Can someone point me to tweaking the wireless settings so's I can at least get at least a reasonable wireless speed.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yuck! While I'm waiting to get the house network drops installed I turned on wireless. OH MY GAWD. I think a slug is slowe6 buy I'm not sure.
Can someone point me to tweaking the wireless settings so's I can at least get at least a reasonable wireless speed.

It would be useful to get details of the setup you have.

How much detail? ISP is Spectrum. One coax cable from interface to spitter then DVR. Short coax from splitter to cable modem, ARISS, then short run to LinkSys AC 4000 Router (ours). Everything else is wireless at the moment.
My windows 10 desktop and laptop are on the far side of the house, maybe 40/50 feet away. Wife has AT&T iPhone, I have Android Pixel 4a.

There isn't a lot of tweaking you can do for wireless. The best way to improve quality and signal strength is by getting more hardware such as a repeater, you can also check the router settings and see if you can increate the power output on the antennas or if it has external antennas you can look at buying a directional antenna such as a yagi which then you can point toward the far side of the house.

I checked and firmware is up to date, st least it's the latest and greatest on the LinkSys website.
And internet spasmed 3 times today that I know of.

How much detail? ISP is Spectrum. One coax cable from interface to spitter then DVR. Short coax from splitter to cable modem, ARISS, then short run to LinkSys AC 4000 Router (ours). Everything else is wireless at the moment.
My windows 10 desktop and laptop are on the far side of the house, maybe 40/50 feet away. Wife has AT&T iPhone, I have Android Pixel 4a.

Have you checked the lights on the arris modem during your internet spasms?

Have you checked the lights on your router during your internet spasms?
This is to try to find out if any of these malfunctions!

Hmm good idea! And no, I hadn't thought of that. I was keeping a log. I'll have to add that to date and time I was recording.

Is the whole network is slow, any connected computer, or is it just that only computer?
Can you check the speed of the incoming cable? Try doing a speedtest with one computer being connected with a cable.

I had Spectrum techs out to the house 4 times since we moved in. Last time a Charter Comm. Supervisor was one of the crew. Everything they checked was 100% but Spectrum internet quit today at noon while my wife was on a Zoom conference. Bummer!

Spectrum blinks off, if not everyday, then every other. And it isn't just me neighbors complain as well.

If they dont find it, you will have to find. See also answer #4
Have you and your neighbours the problem at the same time?
If so, check the cable speed during it. If it is too low someone else connected to it may misusing it. Tell Spectrum.

You also could try downloading and installing a network analyser app. With it you can watch the signal strengh and whether you are sharing your network channel with other wifi networks, in which case you are sharing bandwith.
Hope you find some clue.

Last edited:
Thanks. Glad my life does not revolve around internet I use it "enough" as it is.

I had Spectrum out again early this month. The tech pulled the Arris Modem and installed an Eubee Cable Modem.
1 - I was able to show him a paper print out from my cellphone, Pixel, that it could contact the Router but the router didn't have a incoming signal from the Modem.
2 - Wireless signal is somewhat better now.
3 - about a week after the Spectrum service started blinking again. And we saw a bucket truck cruising the neighborhood. Is there a remote sensor that can show signal drop off? Or perhaps he was just looking for a specific pole?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom