Windows 7 Text missing and start menu not working

unsynz

Hi, first time posting on Windows 7 forums

I currently have an issue with my PC where all the text under desktop icons and dialogue boxes is missing, and instead there is a mumbo jumbo of lines and misshapen boxes in control panel, so its impossible for me to try and do anything. I tried doing /sfc scannow in a cmd prompt, but it told me I do not have administrative privileges when I was logged in on my admin account. This happened after I had to boot into safe mode when some windows updates were installed previously. After they were removed, the BSOD remained, but I managed to log on by using 'Boot using last known good configuration'. I have also tried using a system restore point to before the updates were installed but to no avail. Start up repair also drew a blank and I can't think of anything else to do

Thank you

You run the System File check from an Administrative command prompt. You can start that by using Winkey and type cmd, then CTRL+Shift+Enter. The SFC should run and tell you if you have problems with any system files.

Have you made any changes to your default fonts, or any fonts at all?

Why did you remove the updates, because of the Blue Screen? Do you know which updates you removed?

I had this issue a while back, try in safe mode to do the restore point. The only thing that solved it for me as it would happen intermittenly was to do an inlplace install of windows.

You run the System File check from an Administrative command prompt. You can start that by using Winkey and type cmd, then CTRL+Shift+Enter. The SFC should run and tell you if you have problems with any system files.

Have you made any changes to your default fonts, or any fonts at all?

Why did you remove the updates, because of the Blue Screen? Do you know which updates you removed?

Thanks for the reply. I have not made any changes to the fonts that I am aware of, all I have done is remove all the previous nights updates after a BSOD. this used to solve the problem and I'd be able to reboot. But as I said, this time it's somehow resulted in the missing text and non working start menu. I have also tried sfc scannow again but it doesn't seem to tell me anything except the various different sub commands that can be used with sfc. Also, the last known good config boot option resulted in a BSOD when I tried to use it this morning.

Edit: okay nevermind, forgot the / before scannow. I did the system scan and it came back with 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations'

Last edited:
I had this issue a while back, try in safe mode to do the restore point. The only thing that solved it for me as it would happen intermittenly was to do an inlplace install of windows.
I tried this as well, but the BSOD did not go away. The restore point in question was prior to the latest set of installed updates. Currently, there are no restore points available to use, it disappeared after I tried to restore to it.

Then the last effort would be an inplace install.

Backup the drive.

Boot to windows put in the WIN DVD and do an install from there. This will not remove any data or programs it just replaces the win install.

Back