Windows 7 The Sound Problem

Bannon

I have read a great deal about all the different sound issues people are having in W7, and tried even more fixes, all to no avail.

This is my issue: Sound from any program on my computer actually plays fine, but the second I try to otherwise interact with my computer, the sound either squeaks/crackles in sync with the movements on the screen, or emits a nasty 2-second screech and a few pops, followed by a couple minutes silence, or complete and utter death until the next restart... This is fine if I want to use my computer for music, instead of my iPod. However, sometimes I will need sound AND graphics to work together.

I did not have a sound card in my system when this began. At first, I assumed my video card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT) was placed too close to the on-board sound, but there are no other PCIEx slots available, so I tried putting a X-Fi SoundBlaster Gaming sound card in. The sound problem managed to remain EXACTLY the same. So that eliminates most hardware issues, although there still could be some interference with my graphics card. But I've underclocked it and tested, and still no changes. Somehow my graphics are directly affecting my sound, but I can't think of what else to test for...

I've installed all up-to-date drivers for the sound card, the chipset, the graphics card, uninstalled them, then installed again in varying compatibility modes for previous Vista drivers. I have fiddled with the Device Manager, with UAC, as well as sampled multiple confusing theories involving RAM... I have updated my BIOS, and tried certain "patches" for the VIA chipsets, because, supposedly, sound issues are often caused by the chipsets, graphics cards, processor, or user. That's, um... that's like, the entire computer. And I've had enough of the cynics who claim "everything is known to cause sound problems. just deal with it." I'm getting fairly tired of all this.

Please, if there's an idea I haven't mentioned, I need it. I would buy this OS with or without sound. It's just... sound would be nice.

Thanks,
Ban

Last edited:
hy,i have the same problem :( the difference is that i am using a laptop.i tryed 10000 drivers but nothing seems to remediate the problem

In a nutshell The MS 7 Beta team should contact the vendors and see about getting drivers built for those with intergrated audio chipsets. Because yea, the fixes we've tried so far sucks dino apples.

I have read a great deal about all the different sound issues people are having in W7, and tried even more fixes, all to no avail.

This is my issue: Sound from any program on my computer actually plays fine, but the second I try to otherwise interact with my computer, the sound either squeaks/crackles in sync with the movements on the screen, or emits a nasty 2-second screech and a few pops, followed by a couple minutes silence, or complete and utter death until the next restart... This is fine if I want to use my computer for music, instead of my iPod. However, sometimes I will need sound AND graphics to work together.

I did not have a sound card in my system when this began. At first, I assumed my video card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT) was placed too close to the on-board sound, but there are no other PCIEx slots available, so I tried putting a X-Fi SoundBlaster Gaming sound card in. The sound problem managed to remain EXACTLY the same. So that eliminates most hardware issues, although there still could be some interference with my graphics card. But I've underclocked it and tested, and still no changes. Somehow my graphics are directly affecting my sound, but I can't think of what else to test for...

I've installed all up-to-date drivers for the sound card, the chipset, the graphics card, uninstalled them, then installed again in varying compatibility modes for previous Vista drivers. I have fiddled with the Device Manager, with UAC, as well as sampled multiple confusing theories involving RAM... I have updated my BIOS, and tried certain "patches" for the VIA chipsets, because, supposedly, sound issues are often caused by the chipsets, graphics cards, processor, or user. That's, um... that's like, the entire computer. And I've had enough of the cynics who claim "everything is known to cause sound problems. just deal with it." I'm getting fairly tired of all this.

Please, if there's an idea I haven't mentioned, I need it. I would buy this OS with or without sound. It's just... sound would be nice.

Thanks,
Ban
i've got exactly the same problems, crackling sounds when loading, scolling, whatever. also tried everything to fix it, but to no avail.i hope they'll fix it soon :(

I doubt this is any consolation but I'm having no problems on my setup with onboard Nvidia HDMI audio on my biostar TF8200 A2+ with win7 stock drivers and also a terratec aureon 5.1 fun with the vendor supplied Vista 64 drivers :)

maybe a list of name and makes of soundcards experiencing problems might help ??

Back