Windows 7 Too many Wireless LAN card drivers and no internet connection

alanag

I'm sorry if this is a bit long, but I would like to provide as much detail as possible. I've searched high and low and found no solutions.

I decided to finally take the plunge and install Windows 7 64-bit. Win7 32-bit worked great. I've tried installing 64-bit via both CD and USB and they both do the same thing. I'm currently downloading another ISO from a different location (though I downloaded the old ISO from DreamSpark). The installation goes as planned; it works great, doesn't take long. But when I get into the OS, that's when things go wrong.

I boot into Win7 and it installs over 30 Wireless LAN Card drivers. My last count said 32. Only two of them work--it's always different. Right now it's "802.11n Wireless LAN Card #18" and #9. The rest of the drivers in the Device Manager have a caution symbol next to them and have error code 12: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use." I can't see any wireless networks around me.

I first thought that maybe my computer has trouble with 64-bit operating systems, but Win8 64-bit installed and worked pretty well. I'm pretty much at my wit's end. I've tried these methods (and none work):
  • Uninstalling the extra drivers. They come back.
  • Uninstalling the extra tunnel adapters (which, oddly enough, are not present in this latest install). That got rid of the extra wireless adapters, but I still couldn't access any wireless networks or even see them.
  • Manually adding the network. In my research, I saw some posts where people said they couldn't see the networks, but they could connect to them.
  • Reinstalling multiple times.
  • DEVCON.
  • Installing BIOS drivers.
Here's a screenshot of a command prompt after "ipconfig /all":
ipconfig.png
Again, sorry for the length, but is there anything I can do? I'm desperate and I really don't want to go back to 32-bit. Windows 8 had its own problems, so I'd rather not do that, either.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I have seen Windows add multiple network connections for the same network adapter in situations where the network is not being identified correctly. Perhaps yours is doing this. Your Ipconfig attachment shows all adapters are disconnected. Do you have any network connectivity? What does the wireless connect to? If drivers were being loaded for different models of your wireless adapter, please advise.

Are you able to remove the connections using the Network connections panel (type ncpa.cpl in the search box on start menu)?

You might try going to the connection properties and unchecking the IPv6 option. I say this because of your comments about tunnel adapters.

You might try disabling one of the adapters for testing. The Ethernet is usually the best choice to use for testing because it does not use the encryption the wireless might. Part of the troubleshooting process might require you manually enter your IP and DNS addresses.

Did you have Avast installed on the 32 bit also?

I am not the expert on this, but more information might help lead to the problem.

I have seen Windows add multiple network connections for the same network adapter in situations where the network is not being identified correctly. Perhaps yours is doing this. Your Ipconfig attachment shows all adapters are disconnected. Do you have any network connectivity? What does the wireless connect to? If drivers were being loaded for different models of your wireless adapter, please advise.

Are you able to remove the connections using the Network connections panel (type ncpa.cpl in the search box on start menu)?

You might try going to the connection properties and unchecking the IPv6 option. I say this because of your comments about tunnel adapters.

You might try disabling one of the adapters for testing. The Ethernet is usually the best choice to use for testing because it does not use the encryption the wireless might. Part of the troubleshooting process might require you manually enter your IP and DNS addresses.

Did you have Avast installed on the 32 bit also?

I am not the expert on this, but more information might help lead to the problem.

There is no network connectivity. I can't connect to anything. I did have adapters before, but they did not help. I believe the drivers were all for the same model, as they all said "802.11n". I also tried unchecking the IPv6 option and it did not work, either.

I also disabled and uninstalled some of the adapters. I can try the ethernet option. I can't connect my computer via cable, however. I did have Avast installed on 32-bit and it never malfunctioned.

Sorry I can't offer much detail. I'm at a complete loss and I tried pretty much every option I could think of.

Back