Treating laptop as external hard-disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by brainuee, Feb 25, 2014.

1. brainuee

brainuee New Member

I dont know as if it is a valid question for this forum or not.

I want to use my laptop as external hard-disk for my LCD TV screen so that <1> my TV can show/run movies from my laptop, and simultaneously i can work on my laptop; and <2> i can trick LCD TV that my laptop is just an external hard disk when connecting my laptop to LCD via USB cable.

My LCD TV has USB and HDMI port.

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

No Ethernet connection on your tv?

3. badrobot

badrobot Senior Member

Assuming that your TV is not a SmartTV, that is not that simple unless you have a device that establishes a communication between your TV and laptop to play movies, music, etc. I would recommend the $35 HDMI device Google Chromecast for your purpose. Any other USB devices/adapters that does the same thing would be more expensive than this.

http://www.google.ca/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/

[​IMG]

#3 badrobot, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

A lot of TV and other video devices need a drive formatted FAT32 so you also need to check into that.
    Joe

5. Fixer1234

Fixer1234 Senior Member

For displaying movies from your laptop, can't you just connect the TV with the HDMI cable as a second monitor (select that input on the TV when you are using it for that purpose)?

What function are you trying to perform with the hard disk (some TVs will display files from a directly-attached hard disk, which you could simulate if the TV is connected as a monitor; you couldn't use a hard disk to capture broadcasts like a DVR)?

6. Frozwire

Frozwire Member

I don't think you have the option of what you've asked for. But I think your laptop has a VGA output and I'm pretty sure that your LCD TV has that VGA input option too. You can just play the movie that you want to watch in your laptop then connect the VGA display to your TV and configure your laptop's IGP/GPU for an extended display setting then throw the media player display to the extended display in your TV meanwhile you can still work something else from your laptop's native display monitor while watching the movie output on your TV.