Windows 7 Unable to add other pc to my home network

delbari

After setup homegroup and get its password ; didn't appear any window for asking password on other homegroup PC ,
According Win 7 help((

1. Click to open Network and Sharing Center..
  2. Click Set up sharing with a homegroup.
  3. Click Join now, and then type the homegroup password.
))

but in Network and Sharing Center on other computer don't exist "sharing with a homegroup" option.
*both computers linked via ethernet cable straightly.
*in Network Map, the other PC exist.

first of all, please list what OS's your trying to network. Second, look at some of the older posts in this category regarding homegroup. It seems to give people alot of grief. its for win 7 only...at least on the 7000 build.

Stick with workgroup.....tried and true

After setup homegroup and get its password ; didn't appear any window for asking password on other homegroup PC ,
According Win 7 help((

1. Click to open Network and Sharing Center..
  2. Click Set up sharing with a homegroup.
  3. Click Join now, and then type the homegroup password.
))

but in Network and Sharing Center on other computer don't exist \"sharing with a homegroup\" option.
*in Network Map, the other PC exist.

It is imposible to start the troubleshoot of your problem without your telling us some basic hardware details about the computers you are having problems with , the make and model of of your networking devices [ Network Adapters in each of the networked Computers, The Router and the type of Modem etc].

How many Computers are running Win 7 Beta for making Homegroup?

Please click the FAQ on the top of this message box, and look through the entries there for how to post your Computer specifications to get quick and useful responses for your computer problems.

Just connecting one computer's ethernet Port with an ethernet cable and connecting the other end straight into the second computer's ethernet port
cannot create a useful network allowing Internet access and file and printer sharing and therefore you won't see them in your Network folder in Win 7.

Please check the Device Manager in each of the Computer in "your network" and post here the contents of Network Adapters . We can then say whether the computers are network ready with properly installed Device drivers for the Network adapters.

Next tell us whether or not you have a Router and if so its Make and Model.

I hope this will help us to start the troubleshoot

I'm going to connect only two computers to each other and sharing files,devices and internet Through them.
first PC details:
Network Adapters: SiS191 Ethernet Controller
D-Link DSL-200 USB ADSL WAN Modem
second PC details:
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.2)
there are no any Router or a device like that between two computers.
All devices at both systems are properly and complete drivers installed.

I'm going to connect only two computers to each other and sharing files,devices and internet Through them.
first PC details:
Network Adapters: SiS191 Ethernet Controller
D-Link DSL-200 USB ADSL WAN Modem
second PC details:
Network Adapters: Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.2)
there are no any Router or a device like that between two computers.
All devices at both systems are properly and complete drivers installed.

Thank you very much for making things a lot clearer:)
I have not seen the option ICS ( Internet Connection Sharing) in Win 7 Beta 32 Build 7000. There used to be that software option in WinXP and I guess in Win VISTA but not in Win7 as default .
I will look in depth to see if the service is disabled somewhere by default and can be enabled. Without ICS you cannot use the Host computer with a single Network adapter and USB access to the USB broadband modem to share the Internet Connection you can get to the Host Computer with the Client computer you have connected by means of the Ethernet cable. Most people use Broadband Router ( wired or wireless) for their ease of setup and configuration and some measure of safety they provide as a hardware firewall from easier malicious external attacks to our network.
Use of 3rd party ICS software an option??? I wonder if the threat of denial of Service attack in XP's ICS might have prompted this service not being available by default in Win 7 ; just a guess on my part.

I hope others may have other ideas to offer to help you with networking and ICS .

Addendum:

I saw the ICS opption alive and well in Builds 7048 and 7068 64 Bits I have in a PC that hasboth the LAN cable and Wireless adapter connected to my Wireless Router

Below are steps copied from there about ICS setup.

Enabling ICS
To enable ICS, on your host computer:
  1. <LI class=step>Click to open Network Connections.
    <LI class=step>Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click Properties.
    windows
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.
    Notes
    • The Sharing tab won't be available if you have only one network connection.
    • You can choose whether to select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.
    • Optionally, to allow other network users to use services running on your network, click Settings, and then select the services you want to allow.
When you enable ICS, your local area network (LAN) connection gets a new static IP address and configuration, so you'll need to reestablish any TCP/IP connections between your host computer and the other network computers.
To test your network and Internet connection, see if you can share files between computers and make sure each computer can reach a website.

Configure TCP/IP

To use ICS, make sure the local area network (LAN) connection on each network computer is configured to get an IP address automatically. To do this:
  1. <LI class=step>Click to open Network Connections.
    <LI class=step>Right-click the LAN connection, and then click Properties.
    windows
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    <LI class=step>Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.
  2. Click Obtain an IP address automatically or Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, and then click OK.
The Internet options on your network computers should also be configured for ICS. For more information, see Change Internet settings for ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).
Don't use ICS on a network with domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways, or DHCP servers. And don't use ICS on systems configured for static IP addresses.

ICS and VPN connections

If you create a virtual private network (VPN) connection on your host computer to a corporate network and then enable ICS on that connection, all Internet traffic is routed to the corporate network and all of the computers on your home network can access the corporate network. If you don't enable ICS on the VPN connection, other computers won't have access to the Internet or corporate network while the VPN connection is active on the host computer.

ICS and ad hoc networks

If you share your Internet connection on an ad hoc network, ICS will be disabled if:
  • <LI class=listItem>You disconnect from the ad hoc network.
    <LI class=listItem>You create a new ad hoc network without disconnecting from the ad hoc network for which you enabled ICS.
  • You log off and then log back on (without disconnecting from the ad hoc network).

Last edited:
Thank you my friends (kevin & cmn) for your kindness but my main problem is setup a simple network between two PC white common network cable (Cat 5E)without Router not Internet Connection Sharing.
ICS is my next step.
please help me.
Thanks again

Thank you my friends (kevin & cmn) for your kindness but my main problem is setup a simple network between two PC white common network cable (Cat 5E)without Router not Internet Connection Sharing.
ICS is my next step.
please help me.
Thanks again

Sorry for the delayed response. I was away for a while

Ok, All that you now want is File and Printers sharing between 2 Win 7 Beta PCs linked directly with each other using an Ethernet cable. You said you are using a CAT5E cable .

I have not done this in a while, last I remember is when Win 98SE was the best of MS! If I recall correctly:

• If you are connecting 2 PCs without a Hub , Switch or Routrer for file sharing , you need Cat 5 or 6 CROSSOVER cable NOT Straightthrough cable (also called Patch Cable)
  • You should make both computers to be in the same workgroup
  • During setup you are prompted to save network information in a USB Flash drive and if you do so just plug that Flash drive to second computer to set it up.
  • If you can see PC-2 from PC -1 but not PC-1 from PC-2, try to click View>Refresh in the Network folder of PC-2 and wait for a few seconds to a minute or two.
Hope this lets you get started.:)

you found my purpose correctly;
I'm using CROSSOVER cable but my problem is workgroup particularly setup same workgroup in both computers.
during setup windows don't prompt me for saving network information in a USB flash drive. I didn't arrive to this step; instead windows give me a 10-letters password for entering in second PC that I don't know where use it and in second PC status is same too.
excuse me for my bad English

you found my purpose correctly;
I'm using CROSSOVER cable but my problem is workgroup particularly setup same workgroup in both computers.
during setup windows don't prompt me for saving network information in a USB flash drive. I didn't arrive to this step; instead windows give me a 10-letters password for entering in second PC that I don't know where use it and in second PC status is same too.
excuse me for my bad English

Glad to know you have connected the 2 PC's with X-over Cat5E:)
That means, if you look at the LAN Port of each Computer when Powered ON and booted to their desktops, the Link Light (LED) is seen blinking. Right?

Have you made the workgroup name of both computers the same? If you have not changed the first one's Workgroup name through System Properties [ Right- click Computer>Propertes> and look at the bottom half of the Right 2/3 rd of screen of the System Properties , you should find Computer name: your Computer's unique name you have given or accepted and below that Workgroup: Workgroup ( that is the default if you haven't changed it by clicking Change settings button on its Right side and in the next poup click Change> and type the name > OK> Reboot on prompt] then you don't have to do any name change in the second PC brecause that too will have the same default "Workgroup" as its Workgroup name.

I re-read your first post and saw you did not get the option to make Homegroup in the second PC in the Network and Sharing Center . I don't know why? Any system Files missing? Do you need another Troubleshoot for that such as SFC /Scannow in elevated Command Prompt?.
You can still make file sharing possible but when you click the "Change advanced sharing settings" [left pane of Network and Sharing Center] in the next window , make sure you click the radio button (circle) of (.) Turn on network discovery.
(.) Turn on file and printer sharing
and click Save changes.
Reboot the machine to make sure all are OK.
Next, see if you can exchange views and share files from network folders.

If you have installed any 3rd party (non- MS) Firewalls (Ex: Norton/ MCafee etc) in either of the 2 PCs, turn them off. Windows firewall will not cause problem.
Hope this gives you some progress to post:)

yes Link Light (LED) is blinking and workgroup name of both computers the same (default: Workgroup).
I have HomeGroup in both systems and all of system files are alright but in HomeGroup screen of second PC don't exist any box for entering HomeGroup password gotten from first system.
radio buttons of Turn on network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing are clicked.
and I don't have any 3rd party Firewall.
I have prepared some pictures for show my network menus:
jucn0g.jpg

okybuc.jpg

windows show bot computers in my network window
dyue7d.jpg

but when I select other computer (Shervin-PC) password pop-up window will appear.
24disy1.jpg

this window don't accept any password (2'nd system hasn't any user password).

yes Link Light (LED) is blinking and workgroup name of both computers the same (default: Workgroup).
I have HomeGroup in both systems and all of system files are alright but in HomeGroup screen of second PC don't exist any box for entering HomeGroup password gotten from first system.
radio buttons of Turn on network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing are clicked.
and I don't have any 3rd party Firewall.
I have prepared some pictures for show my network menus:
jucn0g.jpg

okybuc.jpg

windows show bot computers in my network window
dyue7d.jpg

but when I select other computer (Shervin-PC) password pop-up window will appear.
24disy1.jpg

this window don't accept any password (2'nd system hasn't any user password).

• In your ealier post you stated you are looking for 2 networked computers for simple file and Printer sharing but not ICS and I see you have Internet Connection possibly via Internal Dialup Modem in one PC' or an external Dialup modem connected to it. I am just making an observation.
  • I think Windows cannot handle the 2 separate Netwoks with the way you have made.
To get a little more information about your current setup I have a couple of questions:

1. If you click (or Dbl-click) the Dial Up Connection ( Public network) [Not on the Park bench icon itself ] in the Network and Sharing Center View, do you get the 3 options window where you can change it to Home network with a Home Icon?
2. What happens when you click the "unidentified network" in the above manner can you merge that also into a Home network?

3 Have you not already made the login name and Password in these two PCs the same? If not please do so for file and printer sharing to work and each PCs to be accessible.

I have seen a similar problem discussed in this Forum a few days back, but the person who had the unusual networking issue did not come back to say how he finally resolved the issue. In that case also there were multiple networks exactly similar to your situation but he had Broadband Wired and Wireless Router and Broadband Modem involved.

Additional steps:

You can try these additional steps to make your PC s visible in the Network and share files and printer with each other while First PC gets Intrernet. I will look into possibility of setting up ICS using Dialup but not sure.
Good luck

• Network location must be changed from Public to Private to make this computer able to see other computer on the network thru' your X-Over cable connection and let other computer discover this computer. From Network and SharingCenter, on the Unidentified network (Public network) click "Customize" to open Set Network Location dialog. On the dialog box, choose Private, click Next, then OK.
  • On returning to the Network and SharingCenter, you can see the change to Unidentified network (Private network) that corresponds with the Direct Ethernet connection.
2. You may have to make changes in Windows Firewall to allow File and Printer sharing ( You have laready told me there are no other 3rd Party Firewalls). I hope this will help you jump over the last hurdle :)
Please report your troubleshoot result.

Last edited:
1. I see 3 options and change it to Home network
2. yes and did it
after it map network in first PC change to this
wb8aqr.jpg

3. these PCs hasn't password so create it for both.
after click on Shervin-PC icon , windows prompt me user and password of it and after enter them Shervin's folder open.
second PC can't find any device on map network and in network window only show Shervim-PC icon and not Delbari-PC and don't access to internet.
after restarting first PC its network map also show "windows cannot discover any computer or device" but Shervin-PC yet exist in network window and accessing to its files is possible.

thank you for your helps but I think your " Additional steps:" don'twork because that window you are shown "Network and Sharing Center" is from Vista and in win 7 don't exist "Customize".

Last edited:
1. I see 3 options and change it to Home network
2. yes and did it
after it map network in first PC change to this
wb8aqr.jpg

3. these PCs hasn't password so create it for both.
after click on Shervin-PC icon , windows prompt me user and password of it and after enter them Shervin's folder open.
second PC can't find any device on map network and in network window only show Shervim-PC icon and not Delbari-PC and don't access to internet.
after restarting first PC its network map also show "windows cannot discover any computer or device" but Shervin-PC yet exist in network window and accessing to its files is possible.

thank you for your helps but I think your " Additional steps:" don'twork because that window you are shown "Network and Sharing Center" is from Vista and in win 7 don't exist "Customize".

Hi Delbari,
Although we have a little problem communicating with each other with ease because of some small language barrier and my own need to repeatedly ask you for clarification which is further complicated by my poor typing skill with some typos that I miss even when trying to avoid, you seemed to have made some progress. I am sorry I mislead you by injecting VISTA's networking option of "Customize" into your Win7 Beta!

From your Screen Capture shots and brief answers, I have understood the following. Please correct me if I am wrong:-

• After you were able to change the Networking location from "Public Network" to "Home network" in both Computers through their "Network and Sharing Center" , and making the Login Name and Password the same on both PCs in your Home network , you are now able to view both the computers [ Delbari-PC and Shervin-PC] from the first computer's [Delbari-PC's] Network. Is that "Yes"?
  • However you are still unable to see the first Computer [ Delbari-PC] from the second Computer's [Shervin-PC] "Network", but Shervin-PC is visible inits own "Network". "Yes"?
  • In Delbari-PC you can access Files & Printer from Shervin-PC. "Yes"?
  • I assume you have already tried View>Refresh in both PC's network and waited long enough to confirm Shervin-PC cannot view or access files from Delbari-PC. Right?
  • You have also rebooted both PCs after the Setting Changes you have made in their networking. Right?
  1. Can you run the IPCONFIG /ALL Command from each of the 2 PCs in the homenetwork and see the out put andshare that information with us by posting here? [ see attached JPG images for the steps]
    • Click Start>Search programs and files
    • type cmd in the Search programs and files box and note the cmd icon popping up on Start Menu under Programs
    • Right- click cmd > Run as administrator> Yes
    • Type IPCONFIG /ALL at the command prompt (>)
    • Screen capture the ouput screen for JPG image uploading
Thank you

Answer of all your questions is yes. just one thing is strange; after restarting in each PC Unidentified network type comeback to Public Network and should manually change it to Home Network.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Answer of all your questions is yes. just one thing is strange; after restarting in each PC Unidentified network type comeback to Public Network and should manually change it to Home Network.
Link Removed - Invalid URL
About your observation of losing the network type from Home to Public after reboot which I feared might occur was another reason for asking you to view the IPCONFIG /ALL command output.
I wanted that from both computers. I cannot see one from Shervin-PC. Can you perform IPCONFIG /ALL command in Shervin-PC and upload that Screen Capture image also?

In your previos Network Image I saw the icon of a Hub. What is that about?

In your original post you had only 2 PCs each with LAN cards directly linked via CrossOver Cable and the First PC having a Dial-up modem connected to the Internet.

Have you added an Ethernet Hub to connect your PCS together repalcing a Direct Ethernet link? If you have a Hub, that information is important in troubleshoot.

Last edited:
excuse me for my delinquency .IPCONFIG /ALL command in Shervin-PC:
2jccwaw.jpg

I'm not using a hub or a device like that.I'm using a CrossOver cable for link between two computers without any intermediary ; maybe porpuse of system is my D-Link DSL-200 ADSL Modem that connected to first system for use ADSL internet.
one thing that may be useful is that this hub on network map is not clickable .

excuse me for my delinquency .IPCONFIG /ALL command in Shervin-PC:
2jccwaw.jpg

I'm not using a hub or a device like that.I'm using a CrossOver cable for link between two computers without any intermediary ; maybe porpuse of system is my D-Link DSL-200 ADSL Modem that connected to first system for use ADSL internet.
one thing that may be useful is that this hub on network map is not clickable .
As shown in these IPCONFIG display , both pcs have Private IP addresses starting with 169.254.
I am not sure if you took both IPCONFIG at the same time or after 2 different reboots.
Delbari-PC IPv4 Address:169.254.247.185
Shervin-PC IPv4 Address: 169.254.135.202

One idea I have is this:
Assign contiguous IP numbers in the 192.168 range to each PC [Example:
Delabari IPv4 address:192.168.1.1: and Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0
Shervin-PC IPv4 address: 192.168.1.2 and Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0] Note: same Subnet Mask

To do that:
  1. Open Network and Sharing Center
  2. In the Left Panel see if you can locate and click Change Adapter settings
  3. In the next screen, Right- clickon Local Area Connection >Properties
  4. Click Networking tab, below your networking controller [ SiS191... or RealTek.....] of the computer you are now working on, you will see This connection uses the following items: and a white box with the listed items below.
  5. Click and highlight Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  6. Click Properties that just comes active with step 5
  7. Click radio button (.) Use the following IP address. 192.168.1.1 (2) [for each pc the last number is different as shown above. I have shown 2 within bracket( ) for Shervin -PC]
  8. Click OK >Close and do the same step in the 2nd PC
  9. Reboot both
  10. Check if you have succeeded.
If this does not work, I have no more tricks up my sleeve :) Then it is time for the real experts to bail you out:)

Your guess was correct. the IPCONFIG command were applied in different times.
after chenge two IPs to 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2 network maps show both systems in both computers.
accessing to files of second PC for first PC is complete (Read ,write,...) but second PC only can Read files of first PC not write, in addition only to public folders and not users
1'st PC ----Read,write----> 2'nd PC
2'st PC ----Read----> 1'nd PC (Public Folder)
second PC yet can't connect to internet.
***may I ask you some private questions
where are you from or what is your real name and how old are you because I'm wonder if you are so kindly against me.
You are so unassuming
Thank you

Your guess was correct. the IPCONFIG command were applied in different times.
after chenge two IPs to 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2 network maps show both systems in both computers.
accessing to files of second PC for first PC is complete (Read ,write,...) but second PC only can Read files of first PC not write, in addition only to public folders and not users
1'st PC ----Read,write----> 2'nd PC
2'st PC ----Read----> 1'nd PC (Public Folder)
second PC yet can't connect to internet.
***may I ask you some private questions
where are you from or what is your real name and how old are you because I'm wonder if you are so kindly against me.
You are so unassuming
Thank you

Hi Delbari,

I am glad you were able to achieve most of what you wanted.
The permission for Read and Write can be changed in each PC ( in this case you need to do that in the First PC or the Internet connected PC Delbari-PC) once again, but at a leisurely pace without any pressure of having to do a lot of fast troubleshoots against the clock as has been happening over the past 48-72 hrs:) You can do that through the Network and Sharing Center> Choose homegroup and sharing options and then if that does not work to your satisfaction, at the Folder and File level by
Right -click "Foldername" [Example:My Music] >Properties

> Share with:
  • Nobody
  • Homegroup (Read)
  • Homegroup (Read/Write)
--------------------------
  • Specific people....>
I will look into ICS once again and post to the same thread if I can find something useful.
Hope this helps.

The answer to the last question**** Once the Internet came into existence, I have become the neighbor of anyone or everyone who will accept my help within my limited knowledge and skill or help me when I am in need:)
Hey, I have been on your computer screen a lot of times,haven't I ?:).
Thank you for your kind words and thank this Forum for making it possible to extend our hands across time and space for a virtual handshake.

Back