Windows 8 Unable to change brightness

pebble225

So I was changing the settings for my battery and all of a sudden, I wasn't able to change my brightness. Not with the fn shortcut and I can't even go to the settings and lower the brightness manually. It doesn't work! I really don't want to keep staring at my screen because it is making my eyes burn!!!
I already tried updating the Display Adapters in the Device manager and I restarted my computer a million times, but it still doesn't work. What do I do now?!?

Last edited:
Did you revert what every settings you messed on your battery....that's where I would start.

Did you revert what every settings you messed on your battery....that's where I would start.
What happened is that I was on battery mode so I changed the battery setting to eco mode. Then, when I got home and plugged it back in, I set it back to balanced mode. Anyways, so I tried going to power settings when right clicking on the battery and reset it to defaults if that makes it any easier to fix.

And here is some information about my computer (if it will be useful):
Windows 8.1
Toshiba Model: Satellite L55-B

Not with the fn shortcut
The [fn] key is normally controlled by the bios chipset drivers and not part of Windows... did you perhaps upgrade to 8.1 and not reload (update) your power software program and | or chipset drivers?

Toshiba Model: Satellite L55-B
We need the full model number to be certain but the basic driver page for Toshiba is here:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/drivers
Screenshot (60).png

Tell me if this helps:

Screenshot%2B%2816%29.png

No, I do not remember updating my computer to Windows 8.1. I have a laptop and I think I got it with 8.1 installed on it.

Satellite L55-B5267

Ok then this is your complete system specs: http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=4006008&isFromTOCLink=false

The positive,
8.1 windows and intel graphics make the most of the parts.
And negative,
Only 10/ 100 network and nortains anti-virus.
I would un-install nortains * then grab the latest chipset drivers cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/tc70183300c.exe

* As a rule of thumb I don’t think removing your anti-virus is a good idea unless you aren’t on the internet or you replace it with a different anti-virus but Avast is free and a decent anti-virus or you can use the built in windows defender… nortains is such complete shit that you are better off without it.

okay no one is helping me right now. all I want to know is how I can fix it so that I can change my brightness AT ALL!!! I don't care about the fn keys anymore, I am unable to change my brightness in any way on my computer. I do not want my screen to blind me anymore. EITHER WINDOWS 8 HAS A SERIOUS BUG, OR THERE IS A VIRUS ON MY COMPUTER THAT IS DISALLOWING ME TO CHANGE MY BRIGHTNESS IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY!!!

I sorry you feel left-out, I have given you what info I can and have suggested repair steps (i.e. remove nortians and install the chip set driver) which you haven’t done or didn’t tell us about… bassfisher6522 has tried to explain why your computer doesn’t have a windows fix.

I honestly can’t see any way we can do more for you without purchasing a Toshiba laptop to test on, so perhaps you would do better taking your system to a Toshiba repairer?

Good luck with it.

I don't care about the fn keys anymore

That is how you manually change your brightness on your laptop with the FN keys....press the FN key + (the brightness key). It should be 2 keys, one up and one down in your arrow key to the right of keyboard, if a full size keyboard layout. Otherwise look at the row of F keys for a symbol that looks like a sun/light key. Use the FN key + F key with symbol.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Toshiba/Satellite-L55-B5267/Manual/417660?page=133

Page 153 shows the symbol you need to look for.

On a personal note: never make changes to a PC/Laptop hardware of software especially the OS if you don't know what you're doing or what the consequences of those actions are if something goes wrong. As you have found out some can be, in the wrongs hands, unrecoverable.

If you can't get anything else to work...

Does the computer have a recovery partition?
If it does, and as a last resort, backup all of your stuff and return the computer to factory settings.

It can take a lot less time to do this then to mess around with it, unless like me, you have so much stuff installed that it takes forever to put it all back in.

I'm sure everyone is tired of me saying this, but this is why everyone should make a System Image File.
If you screw up your computer you can have it back up and running in 30 minutes.

You can make a System Image File and Recovery DVD/CD using free software like EaseUS TODO backup and recovery.
It works great and it's easy to use.

I'm sure everyone is tired of me saying this, but this is why everyone should make a System Image File.
If you screw up your computer you can have it back up and running in 30 minutes.

You can make a System Image File and Recovery DVD/CD using free software like EaseUS TODO backup and recovery.
It works great and it's easy to use.

Some great and sound advice to follow. Keep preaching the word Mike, sooner or later everybody will catch on!!!!

No nvm, its fine. I don't care anymore. I have worse problems to deal with. I am about to make another post about it.

Back