Windows 7 Unable to connect use Internet. 'Limited Internet Access' PLEASE HELP.

iRider

I'm new to here, but for any of you who are about to read all of this, i applaud you! :thumbs_up:

I recieved my new Lenovo Z570 IdeaPad yesterday...I'll just put some of the spec down incase you want to know.
Proccessor: Intel i5 (second gen)
Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE
yadayadayada...

Anyway, after charging it up and turning it on, i started to install programmes and other bits and bobs. e.g iTuens, Flash Player. Just the usual essentials. I used the laptop to watch videos on Youtube, genenral browing such as Facebook, so in short, the internet was working fine. Just before i went to bed that night I installed AVG Security (free version) and ran a full scan. When the scan finished, i put the Laptop into Hibernate, and went to sleep! Happy in the knowledge my new gizmo was running smoothly! :)

Just before i woke up i heard the Laptop turn off as it had run out of charge. So i plugged it in and charged it up, then turned it on. This is where the problem starts...

I connected via wifi however the logo at the bottom right of the screen showed the signal strength meter on empty, with a yellow star covering it. I clicked the icon, and it said, 'Not connected, connections are available' and below shows im connected with 5/5 signal strength, but on 'Limited access'.

I troubleshooted the problem, and the problems found were:

1) there might be a problem with the Driver for the Local Area Connection adapter
2)There might be a problem with the driver for the wireless Network Connection Adapter

There are 28 updates, but im unable to update them as i have no internet connection. I also cant connect via the ethernet cable.

I cant roll back the drivers as there are no previously installed ones, and i cant update them as i am already up to date.

My other laptop (Acer Aspire 5630 running on Vista) works perfectly fine using Wifi and the ethernet cable, so i honestly dont know whats wrong. After reading things on my Acer about ways to fix the problem i came to the decision to restore the laptop to the time of my first installation which was Adobe flash player (which i installed the day before.) I was unable to do a full factory reset as the only options available are to either restore to a backup, or re-install windows (which requires a disc, which i dont have). I also didnt configure a backup as i had only had the laptop a day!

I phoned up my internet provider and ran through everything, and all is fine at their end, so the only thing that it can be is the laptop.

There you have it, I'm still baffled how it can work one day and not the next... It's 2 days old!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :redface:

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Click the start orb and type
device manager
into the search box and hit enter.
Expand Network Adapters
Select then right click the problem adapters and choose properties
Select the Driver tab and click the Roll Back Driver button
do that for both wired and wireless until the button is grayed out and not longer responds to a click.
Reboot the computer and see if that helps. If not uninstall AVG completely including running the vendor's removal tool appropriate for your install and reboot again. Consider replacing with Link Removed due to 404 Error.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. But the 'Roll back Driver' box is already grayed out. I suppose its because the laptop is brand new. I've also already uninstalled AVG, and rebooted.

Still confused as to how its fine one day and broken the next...

Did you also run the AVG vendor specific proprietary removal tool, to be sure you are rid of all remnants of the product for now? And have you completely rebooted the machine?
Assuming both answers are yes, we'll probably need to start with some basics.
Open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all > desktop\ip.txt
attached that text file from your desktop to your next post.
It would also be nice if we could focus on one adapter at a time so if possible, plug in the wired adapter to your router and we'll chase that down.

I uninstalled it via Control panel > Programmes > Uninstall Programme. So i guess that's not the AVG vendor specific proprietary removal tool. But i search for AVG in the in the Start menu search, nothing comes up.

C:\Users\ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host name: Rob-PC
Priary DNS Suffix:
Node type:Hybrid
IP routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State:Media Disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Description: Bluetooth Device <Personal Area Network>
Physical Address: 38-95-F9-D5-1C-75
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State: Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix
Description:Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address:00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled:No
Autoconfiguration Enabled:Yes

Had to type it, on another laptop.

Run the removal tool that I linked to from AVG in my original post http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...d-internet-access-please-help.html#post243420 and reboot.
Why did you have to type "it" on another computer? I assume because you didn't have a thumb drive handy to transfer it with? Is that the entire contents of the results of having typed ipconfig /all on the problem computer?
I'm not seeing your wired or wireless adapter listed, what does Device manager say regarding your available network adapters, which ones are listed in device manager? According to Lenovo Link Removed - Invalid URL you should have either an Atheros or Realtek wired adapter and either an Atheros, Broadcom or Intel wireless adapter installed. If you are showing any problem devices in device manager and or "Other" devices you may need to reinstall drivers for the devices
If you can can determine which card(s) you actually have installed the appropriate drivers are located at the link included in the paragraph above.

I ran that, and it starts up and finished really quickly, so hope thats all ok. I also rebooted afterwards.
decided to type the details as didnt think i had MS Word, however i realise now i have a trial.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

CUsersRobipconfig all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . Rob-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . .
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix .
Description . . . . . . . . . . . Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . 38-59-F9-D5-1C-75
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection 11

Description . . . . . . . . . . . Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Description . . . . . . . . . . . Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . No

That should be correct.

Regarding the Drivers installed, under Network adapters, there are 4 selections.
'Atheros AR9285 Wireless network adapter', 'Bluetooth device (personal area Network)', 'Bluetooth device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)', and 'Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller'.

So do i need to find these drivers (from that link), then download them and install them?

if you type the command that I suggested above into a command prompt window it should produce a file called ip.txt on your desktop. There is no need for Microsoft Word or anything else notepad should open the text file just fine and you should be able to attach the file to your post if you click go advanced after click the reply button and then use the PaperClip icon from the tool bar and browse to your desktop to select the file and upload it, you shouldn't have to type or retype anything other than the command
ipconfig /all > desktop\ip.txt
It would be a good idea to go ahead and make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for those two adapters from the Lenovo link I posted above.

Ahh, I must have miss-typed the first time around, the Notepad is coming up now.
The Drivers are all up to date. I think i'll phone up the company i bought it from tomorrow, ill be a bit annoyed if it cant be resolved, though. They're out of stock on this model and are unlikely to get any more in at the sale price..

Open an elevated command prompt.
Click the start orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt, Right click it and choose run as administrator
type
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
hit enter
type
netsh Winsock reset
hit enter
Reboot the computer.
Still would like to see the text file

Here is the file.

I also typed in those two things and rebooted. Still have the same problem.

Attachments

• ip.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Just thought I'd update you. I managed to find the Lenovo Rescue system and run a factory restore, which i wasnt able to do through Windows Recovery. I may not have found the problem, but at least now everything is fixed. Thanks for the help.

Back