Windows 7 unable to network windows 7 and windows xp pro

kc5gjy

win7 ultimate 32 bit,other system running win xp pro 32 bit,unable to get systems to see each other.
Firewalls are down,sharing is enabled.LLTD and LLTD Mapper I/o are enabled in win7.LLTD is enabled in Winxp.Getting into 2wire modem/router I am able to access files on both systems,this tells me there must be a setting I have overlooked.Both are in same WORKGROUP,win7 is set for home network.DHCP,NETBIOS,TCP-IP seem ok. Any help is appreciated!

win7 ultimate 32 bit,other system running win xp pro 32 bit,unable to get systems to see each other.
Firewalls are down,sharing is enabled.LLTD and LLTD Mapper I/o are enabled in win7.LLTD is enabled in Winxp.Getting into 2wire modem/router I am able to access files on both systems,this tells me there must be a setting I have overlooked.Both are in same WORKGROUP,win7 is set for home network.DHCP,NETBIOS,TCP-IP seem ok. Any help is appreciated!

Check and make sure these Services are Started on all Computers
Workstation
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Computer Browser
Make sure file and printer sharing is enable on both and that local firewalls are supporting it. Temporarily uninstall any third party firewalls or Internet Security Suites that may include some type of Firewall applet.
Make sure NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled in the properties of IPv4 on you network cards and Temporarily disable IPv6 (uncheck)
Look for Bonjour service and temporarily set it to manual or disable and stop same with mdnsresponder. Also check services near the top for a peculiar string containing numbers and or special characters, disable and stop
Keep us posted

I double checked the settings,all appear fine,couldn't find any reference to Bonjour or mdnsresponder on either system,sharing was enabled on both, I disabled IPV6 on the xp machine.Services on both are fine,firewalls disabled temporarily.Still unable to map the network though

I double checked the settings,all appear fine,couldn't find any reference to Bonjour or mdnsresponder on either system,sharing was enabled on both, I disabled IPV6 on the xp machine.Services on both are fine,firewalls disabled temporarily.Still unable to map the network though

Possibly some bad info in the netbios name cache. Two things to try, one, from an elevated command prompt type nbtstat -RR this should purge and reload the netbios info, do that on both machines. Second, if I read your original post correctly, you said that you could "I am able to access files on both systems" just try mapping a network drive to a shared folder on both machines and see if that breaks anything loose.
Randy

I appreciate your replies,odd how the systems can't see each other,but I can access the files of both puters from within the 2WIRE modem/ router.The puters refuse to see any system but themselves when i try to map a network path. I purged the netbios cache and tried again to map the drives to no avail.If I didn't know better I would think the firewalls were still up,networking 2 xp machines is pretty easy,but this has turned out to be a challenge,I see no reason why win 7 can't see the LLTD protocol from the xp machine

It would seem that I misunderstood, I thought that you could get to each machines files using UNC, but it just throught the 2wire, now I understand. Let's go back to simple. From and to both machines, ping by ip (note the results and time in ms) then from and to both machines ping by netbios name (note the results and time in ms). Also do an ipconfig /all and confirm there are no conflicts with host names, ip address, and mac address (physical address), also you said that you turned off IPv6 on XP but didn't mention doing the same on Win7.

Ok well I did disable ipv6 in win7,I typed the ip address of the xp machine in the run box and was able to access its files that way,but I am still unable to do a permanant drive mapping,win 7 just doesnt see it.As long as I keep using the RUN box to access the xp I can get to the files.But when I try to access the Win7 drives from the xp machine it shows the win7's folders,but gives me ACCESS DENIED when I try to get into them,trying to do a drive mapping also gives me the ACCESS DENIED dialog. This is confusing since FILE SHARING is enabled and running administrator on both.

when you say "running administrator on both" do you mean that you've enabled the Win7 administrator account and are logging in as administrator on both machines and if so are you using the same password for the administrator's account

I am running ADMIN on both with same account password ,just a 2 system network. I'm just about ready to break out the cat5 and hardwire this installation,if this keeps up :)

I am running ADMIN on both with same account password ,just a 2 system network. I'm just about ready to break out the cat5 and hardwire this installation,if this keeps up :)

By all means, if you have that option, let's take advantage of it as a diagnostic step to see if the problem persists.

Ok well I did disable ipv6 in win7,I typed the ip address of the xp machine in the run box and was able to access its files that way,but I am still unable to do a permanant drive mapping,win 7 just doesnt see it.As long as I keep using the RUN box to access the xp I can get to the files.But when I try to access the Win7 drives from the xp machine it shows the win7's folders,but gives me ACCESS DENIED when I try to get into them,trying to do a drive mapping also gives me the ACCESS DENIED dialog. This is confusing since FILE SHARING is enabled and running administrator on both.

You didn't tell me what the results from the pings were, but just a guess the by ip address worked fine. Did the ping by name work in either direction?
You can map network drives by IP just like by name \\ipaddressOfXpMachine\ShareNameOnXPMachine The acccess denied is strictly a permission issue
pick one of the shared folders on the Win7 machine and examine the permissions, both share permissions and ntfs permissions under the security tab, make sure that they reflect the username and the amount of access you want them to have. Keep me posted

From the xp machine and using RUN,I get this error:No network provider accepted the given network path,but then folder named :USER comes up.Will go back and check the permissions again,perhaps missed something

Hey I appreciate all your help,after going thru all the permissions I found that all I had to do was to add " EVERYONE" to the list and give it full privileges
neither system can map a drive but at least I can access either by entering the ip address in the "RUN" dialog box

Hey I appreciate all your help,after going thru all the permissions I found that all I had to do was to add \" EVERYONE\" to the list and give it full privileges
neither system can map a drive but at least I can access either by entering the ip address in the \"RUN\" dialog box

You shouldn't have to resort to the everyone group, in fact I usually remove it from all my shares. It would seem that you have some group memebership conflicts, where in one of your users (in this case perhaps admin) is a member of multiple groups. Examine his group memberships and adjust accordingly. My local administrator which I have renamed (always a good idea) is only a member of the "administrators group", perhaps your local administrator account is also a member of another groups for instance "users" which may have more restricted permissions. You have to remember that share permissions impact what users are allowed to access across the network, while ntfs permissions (under the security tab) effect what users can get into with a local logon, when they are combined which they always are in a situation like yours, the most restrictive permissions apply to all members of all groups as you've set them. Read this it was created way back in the NT4 days but still applies and is a good guide to help you get your head around how sharing is actually done Link Removed - Invalid URL
Hope this helps and good luck
Randy

Back
Top Bottom