Windows 7 Unable to open Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x64

redblack

So I just bought Windows 7 Upgrade and there are 3 parts to the Windows 7 download. I downloaded Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x64 which I think is an install file. But every time I try to run it I get the error message, "The application cannot find one of its required files, possibly because it was unable to create it in the folder. Please make sure that the folder in which this application was downloaded is accessible and not read-only". I threw it onto my desktop, unblocked it from properties, but still it doesn't work. What do I do?

It might help if we knew the name of the three files, encluding extensions. There may be a student download tutorial here, but if not, there should be instructions from HP. If it is possible, I would burn a bootable DVD before you do anything that might make the files inaccessable.

The student downloads had an unpacker that unboxed the other two files and made a useable system, but I do not know about HP. Look on the HP site or for a readme somewhere.

Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x64.exe
setup2.box
setup1.box

These are the 3 files that I"m supposed to download.

HP=Home Premium

I do not own a DVD burner so I can't burn the iso file onto a DVD. I bought this straight off the microsoft website.

I don't own a flash drive over 2 GB but i have an ipod that i might be able to run it off of.

If you continue to have the extraction error as you say, I would go ahead now and ask for a DVD, but try redownloading the thing. I have been looking for a tutorial about how to install student type downloads. But basically the .exe file it there to unpack and put the install files in a folder. Then you normally start the install from inside your current OS.

If you can download the .iso you might do that so if you need to put it on a flash drive, you can.

Is your current OS and system x64? If not, you will at least have to boot to install on a 32 bit OS, of course it will not install on a 32 bit system.

I would expand the files or move the folder afterward to a place it can be accessed but still available in case the computer does not finish the Win 7 install.

Win 7 can also not be upgraded from 32 to 64 bit, but there are other restrictions depending on the type of your original OS. In many cases you will have to do a custom install which basically removes and saves the old install so you will not be able to use you prior programs. Backing up is always a good idea.

An inplace upgrade where you will still have your older programs is possible, depending on your situation, but not recommended.

I am running 64 bit Vista Home premium. I downloaded the iso file. I tried to load it onto my ipod since it is the only external memory I have in my possession that the file can it on at the moment. Every time I open the iso file, it takes me to my roxio burner program.

So you have never been able to get the boxed files to unpack and create a folder for you?

An .iso file either has to be burned as an image to a DVD or put on a bootable Flashdrive, or possibly mounted on a virtual drive. I have not tried mounting, but I would think it would go away when the install was started.

It looks like you are stuck with trying to get the downloaded files expanded, or get to a store...

Edit: This site seems to address your situation:

Link Removed - Not Found

Last edited:
Do you have a USB flash drive, at least 4 GB in size.

If you do use the following free utility unetbootin to make a bootable USB flash installer
from the .iso.

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Download the version for windows.

Insert your USB flash drive and then click the unetbootin .exe you downloaded above.
Make sure the flash drive is formatted to NTFS before inserting it.

Now click the unetbootin .exe and skip the first field's (distribution) radio button.
Click the next field's (disk image) radio button and use the browse button at the far right of the field to browse to the location of your Win 7 .iso and then click OK at the bottom right.

It will take a few minutes to complete the install of the setup files to your USB flash device.

When complete shut down your computer (I'm assuming you have a netbook since you mention that you have no optical drive) and boot to the Flash drive. You may have to change the boot order in BIOS to allow booting the flash drive installer.

You should get a usable Win 7 installer.

Installing Win 7 from a USB flash drive is quicker (almost 100%) faster than installing from a DVD.

Back
Top Bottom