Windows 10 Unable to Re-install Windows 10

PaulS

I originally had Windows 10 installed in Oracle Virtual Box on my Gateway Laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium, 4GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor 2.2GHz, 300 GB Hard Drive. I was unable to update one of the recent builds as I was getting an error that I did not have enough disk space. I could not see any way of modifying the allocated space in Oracle Virtual Box,. so I uninstalled Windows 10 and created a new Virtual Box with more space allocated. When I attempt to install Windows 10 I get an error message "The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select iCustom {advanced} to perform an upgrade. Custom {advanced} installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.)"
I have attempted to install using the iso file and a DVD and get the same message every time. I have rebooted the computer, etc. as indicated in the error message, however this does not have any affect on the outcome.Does anyone know how to overcome this issue so I can get Windows 10 Preview re-installed.
Thank You.

Hi

I can't help much with Virtualbox, I did install W10 in VBox to start with but changed my mind and dual booted it instead.
It sound like your computer is trying to upgrade or overwrite your current operating system instead of installing it in VBox.

You might want to start all over from scratch remove and reinstall, VBox and try again, something must be messed up somewhere.

Here's some instructions that might help.

http://www.lehsys.com/2014/10/windows-10-installing-virtualbox/

Otherwise it's hard to guess at what's going on.

I actually prefer dual booting it since it lets you run a lot of your installed software without reinstalling everything and has access to everything just like your main OS
I've gone past that step now and am just using Windows 10 as my operating system, and running all my programs, games etc, from it.

It's pretty easy to create a 100Gb partition and just install it there.
I put all of the software that I did install for Windows 10 on a separate partition so that the install stays small and easy to back up.

The latest build seems pretty solid, but I do keep sytem images just in case.

Mike

Hi

I can't help much with Virtualbox, I did install W10 in VBox to start with but changed my mind and dual booted it instead.
It sound like your computer is trying to upgrade or overwrite your current operating system instead of installing it in VBox.

You might want to start all over from scratch remove and reinstall, VBox and try again, something must be messed up somewhere.

Here's some instructions that might help.

http://www.lehsys.com/2014/10/windows-10-installing-virtualbox/

Otherwise it's hard to guess at what's going on.

I actually prefer dual booting it since it lets you run a lot of your installed software without reinstalling everything and has access to everything just like your main OS
I've gone past that step now and am just using Windows 10 as my operating system, and running all my programs, games etc, from it.

It's pretty easy to create a 100Gb partition and just install it there.
I put all of the software that I did install for Windows 10 on a separate partition so that the install stays small and easy to back up.

The latest build seems pretty solid, but I do keep sytem images just in case.

Mike
Thanks Mike for this information. Actually, I have tried these ideas....completely removed everything and started over, but to no avail. Obviously these is some issue with either my PC or with the software...so perhaps your idea to dual boot is my best option. Appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom