Windows 7 Unablwe to open links

Farmguy

I get this error when links are clicked (will not open) -

>> this operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.

The error started after I deleted Chrome.

I now there is a fix, but I do not understand the instructions.

Please help.

Thank you

You have deleted Chrome.
So, what do you use as your browser now ? Have you set it as your default browser?

It is likely that you need to clean your browser cache, but I can't tell you how to do that unless I know what browser you are now using.

Last edited:
You have deleted Chrome.
So, what do you use as your browser now ? Have you set it as your default browser?

It is likely that you need to clean your browser cache, but I can't tell you how to do that unless I know what browser you are now using.

I use Internet Explorer as the browser
Thanks for replying

OK. Which version ? IE 9, or 10, or 11 ?
At any rates........
1. Make sure your IE is set as default browser.
click Start button > right side, click Default Programs > click Set your default programs > wait for loading > left side, under Programs, click Internet Explorer > right side, near the bottom,............
does it say "This program has all its defaults " ?
If no, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

2. Clean your browser cache.
click Start button > in the search box, type internet options > press Enter key > at the top, click General > under Browser history > click "Delete...." button > make sure the top 4 boxes are checked. > at the bottom, click Delete > click OK when done.

Restart computer.
See if you can open links now.

OK. Which version ? IE 9, or 10, or 11 ?
At any rates........
1. Make sure your IE is set as default browser.
click Start button > right side, click Default Programs > click Set your default programs > wait for loading > left side, under Programs, click Internet Explorer > right side, near the bottom,............
does it say "This program has all its defaults " ?
If no, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

2. Clean your browser cache.
click Start button > in the search box, type internet options > press Enter key > at the top, click General > under Browser history > click "Delete...." button > make sure the top 4 boxes are checked. > at the bottom, click Delete > click OK when done.

Restart computer.
See if you can open links now.

thank you again.

I followed your step by step instructions (no change)

When I clicked your user name in email message (within the email from the forum) .....I got the (same) error ....this operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.

You have not answered my question...... which IE version ? 9, 10 or 11 ?

Last suggestion ......Reset IE
Go back to Internet Options > at the top, click Advanced > under Reset Internet Explorer, click Reset > click OK when done.
Restart computer.

Last edited:
Your problem, sounds to me like when you uninstalled Chrome your "MailTo" link was left without a setting or left with an incorrect setting so.... try this
Open the Control Panel, drop down in top right corner "View by:" change to "Small icons"
Click "Default Programs"
Click "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"
Wait till it populates and scroll way down near the bottom to MAILTO URL:MailTo Protocol
The "Current Default" column should reflect whatever mail client you are using to read your emails.
Mine says "Outlook (desktop)"
Yours should say something similar reflecting whatever email program you have installed locally.
You can double click the line or select it and then click the "Change program" button in the top right to adjust it properly.

Back