Windows 7 Unidentified Network Access / No Fixes worked

NelspikeTX

Hey, Windows 7 Forums.

Sorry about registering and not presenting myself to the comunity, but I really want to get this fix over and done. I formatted my laptop (ASUS Z92J model) and installed Windows 7 Professional yesterday, which was downloading from MSDNAA (Microsoft European Academic Alliance), which is a service connected directly to my college's facilities, enabling me to download for free and legally any Windows softwares.

Now, the problem is, the first connection I set up was my router's at home, wireless of course. Internet worked fine, etc, no problems and all that. But I came to my grandparents' place today, where I got their ethernet cable, and plugged it directly from a Thomson Modem to my laptop. Before I formatted (OS was Windows XP Media Center) everything worked pretty much fine. But now, I can't get it to fix. Everytime the cable's plugged, I get the "Unidentified Network Access" thingie. I've tried messign with IP Adresses, Default Getaways, and all that. things that usually worked on Windows XP IP configs. But on 7, it doesn't seem to work.

I also tried that fix on the Bonjour Software, where you had to look for:

##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##

And the thing was.. There was no such service on the list. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Been browsing for 2 hours now, and can't find any solutions.

Hope there's really a way to fix this.

Many thanks in advance!

Make sure after you've upgraded your OS that you get your latest Ethernet driver and chipset driver for your make and model of your mother board from your laptops manufacturer's website.

Can you be a little more specific on your brand and model number. Asus website is not listing what you have.

Last edited:
As bassfisher6522, has already indicated current and up to date drivers are usually essential for networking with Windows 7 to assure problem free operation and additional information regarding your computer will help us provide some additional information, often members here, have similar if not identical equipment and can provide valuable insight regarding specific problems that they have had to over come.
You need to check and determine what if any DHCP information you are receiving from the Thomson Modem, you will need a proper IP address, subnet mask, default gateway as well as DNS information in order to get out to the internet. Try opening the Network and Sharing Center, selecting the "Public" network and see if you can change it to either "Home" or "Work" to see if that helps. Use the ipconfig /all command from the command prompt to discover what addressing scheme your wired NIC is using and post it here so we can take a look and possibly make some suggestions.
You can also try disabling IPv6 on the wired NIC just to see if it may be creating a problem for the Thomson Modem, take a look at any third party software that may be causing an issue, like firewalls or internet security suites, and temporarily disable the windows firewall just to see if that may be an issue, it can be pretty restrictive on public networks. The unknown public network issue usually suggests to me an issue with your default gateway so you should probably check that first.

Guess I'll try to get the latest drivers, or something. I'll see what I can do about the drivers, although, they're all up to date, I believe. Anyway, Trouble, I tried to so what you asked, about the ipconfig /all. Thing is, I did it without the cable plugged. Also, tested it with the cable plugged.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Here's a picture of it without the cable inserted. I do believe everythning's okay here.

Here's the picture with it inserted. Now, I wish to know what to do here..

And finally, another picture of a computer I have at home, with everything fucntional, with the cable on.

And to be more specific..

My laptop is an ASUS, a Z92J. It is listed as one that can't go to Windows 7, but I got everything working, even the drivers. Only thing that isn't working is this, the ethernet support. =/

If you can't see the pictures that well:

Last edited:
The problem machine is not receiving any worthwhile IP addressing from DHCP.
The other machine seems to have a public ip address.
How are you connecting these two machines to your network.
Most ISPs provide only a single IP address, which is typically present on the WAN interface of a your router (in the case of PPPoE type connections the proper username and password must also be assigned to this interface through the router's GUI) and then your other network nodes are then attached to the LAN interfaces of the router and receive private IP address which are then NAT'ed to the single public address.
So, can you explain your network?
Typically computer to LAN port of Router, the Router WAN interface to ISP provided equipment (either DSL or CABLE device) and then out to the Web.

LAN Network

Basically, what I'm doing is using an ethernet cable to connect directly to the modem that supports the internet. What I've done, was swapping the cable between computers, which means, I've used one end of the cable to connect them to the modem.

So, it's only one cable connecting directly from the modem to the ethernet port.

Basically, what I'm doing is using an ethernet cable to connect directly to the modem that supports the internet. What I've done, was swapping the cable between computers, which means, I've used one end of the cable to connect them to the modem.

So, it's only one cable connecting directly from the modem to the ethernet port.
OK, that should work with a few caveats;
Number 1
Some ISP's have long lease times on IP addresses that they assign. Like Verizon here in the US, can sometimes take up to 2hours to get a new lease so you can try to first, from a command prompt perform a ipconfig /release before disconnecting from the working computer. Then after you plug into the other computer attempt, again from a command prompt, an ipconfig /renew
See if the helps at all
Also Number 2
Some ISPs use PPPoE and require that the connection contain a valid username (usually your email address, unless otherwise configured) as well as the associated password. It may be the case that the other computer already has that information associated with the connection and you may need to include it on the one that is having the problem.
It would seem, that in either case a router might help.
And you may want to contact the provider just so you can better understand exactly how their particular process works.

Windows 7 Professional has a great feature called Action Center that helps you to fix problems quickly. To learn more, please watch Link Removed due to 404 Error. Additional information can also be found at bit.ly/Windows7Troubleshooting

Hey, Windows 7 Forums.

Sorry about registering and not presenting myself to the comunity, but I really want to get this fix over and done. I formatted my laptop (ASUS Z92J model) and installed Windows 7 Professional yesterday, which was downloading from MSDNAA (Microsoft European Academic Alliance), which is a service connected directly to my college's facilities, enabling me to download for free and legally any Windows softwares.

Now, the problem is, the first connection I set up was my router's at home, wireless of course. Internet worked fine, etc, no problems and all that. But I came to my grandparents' place today, where I got their ethernet cable, and plugged it directly from a Thomson Modem to my laptop. Before I formatted (OS was Windows XP Media Center) everything worked pretty much fine. But now, I can't get it to fix. Everytime the cable's plugged, I get the "Unidentified Network Access" thingie. I've tried messign with IP Adresses, Default Getaways, and all that. things that usually worked on Windows XP IP configs. But on 7, it doesn't seem to work.

I also tried that fix on the Bonjour Software, where you had to look for:

##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B87 9762 ##

And the thing was.. There was no such service on the list. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Been browsing for 2 hours now, and can't find any solutions.

Hope there's really a way to fix this.

Many thanks in advance!

Back