Windows 7 unidentified network local only (RC)

ddleejj1

I cannot connect to the internet. Network and Connection Sharing shows my home network and an Unidentified network and both are local only. This started on my other computer with a Realtek network adapter (can't remember the model). After 2 updates last night, my computer (different) showed the same problem on boot this morning. The updates were Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.57.1094.0) and Microsoft driver update for HP Photosmart 3200 series
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80070490
I restored it to before these updates with no change. The only way that I can connect is to uninstall the NIC and scan for hardware changes (works on both machines). This NIC is NVIDIA nForce Network Controller. Both are onboard.
I don't know if this is important but we have the HP Photosmart 3210xi printer on the network using it's own network adapter. Shutting the printer down did not change the situation.
Searching shows this as a problem in Vista with no solution.

I have tried everything that I have read from the Vista forums to no avail. I have used MS drivers and the latest manufactorer drivers. I have disabled public networks and IPv6. My router (Netgear) is configured correctly and I have assigned static IPs to both machines on both ends. I do have 2 switches on the network but they are just dumb switches.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Are you running the official RC fro MS?

Was it a "clean" install or an upgrade?

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit?

Need to know the exact make and model number of the NIC.

Do you also have a wireless connection?

I am sorry I missed that stuff. I know better.

I am using the official RC 32bit clean install.

Neither computer has wireless NICs but they are attached to a wireless router.

There are 2 different NICs involved.

One is Marvell 88E1115 Gigabit LAN on a DFI Infinity NF4 motherboard.

The other is a Realtek RTL8111C-VCO-GR PCI-Ex1 on a ASRock A780GXE/128 motherboard.

I just read a post regarding connectivity after installing Photo Shop CS3. I have Photo Shop CS4 on both computers but I will have to check and see when they were installed in reference to this problem, ie before or after.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for your time. That was the very first thing that I did. I also installed them in compatability mode with admin. I am curious about photo shop. I am going to uninstall it on one machine and see if it makes a difference. That would be a bad thing if it turns out to be the cause. I will follow up with the results.

Thanks again.

Let's go back,

The first thing, I've heard CS3 is not working correctly on some Windows 7 computers.

You are not dual-booting?

These are 2 separate PCS, correct. Lets deal with the Windows 7 machine

Definition Updates? Don't you have an Anti-virus other than that?

Go to Start > Run, and type cmd.

then type ipconfig /all

See if you have the correct IP, not something like 182.168.1.1

When you open Network and sahring Center, what dio you see in there? there are many options to choose from here.

As for disabling IPv6, I would definitely re-enable it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you again for your response. I now know what the problem is, but I still need help with the solution. Photoshop CS3 (I was wrong before about CS4) is definately the cause. I uninstalled it and my network is normal again on reboot.
To answer your questions.
Both computers (yes 2 different configurations) are dual boot. Mine is with WinXP and his with Vista64 Home Premium. Both with Win 7 RC (official release clean install) and activated with seperate keys.
Both with AVG Internet Security, Malwarebytes, Defender and windows 7 firewall.
Both show accurate IP addresses when IPconfig /all.
I re-enabled IPv6 when that did nothing to change the issue.
I have gone through every function and option in Network and Sharing Center.

Before I uninstalled PS CS3, I entered safe mode w/networking and my connection was normal. I searched through the services and tried to find something that would be related to PS but I don't understand what each do so I left it all alone.

I am going to try to install PS in compatability mode with admin and see if it changes. I have to solve this because PS is a program that my husband must have. He really likes the speed of 7 over Vista and he is VERY picky. I am doing the troubleshooting on my machine because he hates when I tweak his after he sets it up.

I will follow up with the results and any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dawn

Compatability mode with admin did not fix the problem. I am off to Adobe to see if they have a solution. I will keep this thread updated with my findings in order to help others.

If anyone knows what might be the problem, I am all ears.

Thanks,

Dawn

SOLVED! Part of the PS CS3 installation includes "Bonjour" (C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe). This is the problem and it can be disabled. It is located in services.exe but it is not written like this.
Look for "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##" in the services and disable it. I did this before I reactivated PS and then activated PS with no problems. My network is normal and PS works too.

I hope this helps others. Isn't troubleshooting fun?

Dawn

Last edited:
My take from a vista machine with very similar problem. Right click on the network connection by the clock in the right side of the taskbar. Then click on status. Then click on properties. Make sure both IPv4 and IPv6 are enabled. Then go into each one and make sure "Obtain IP address automatically" is checked on both tabs. Vista somehow changed that setting on a customer's computer without said user's knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom