Windows 7 Unidentified Network - No Network Access

mmbru

I'm struggling with this issue incredibly!.. heres my situation / info:

Dell XPS 710 (purchased late 2006/early 2007)
motherboard = nforce 590i SLI
Sound = SB Fatality Platnium Champ edition
Video = 7950 GX2
4 Gigs ram
2x SATA / RAID 160 Raptor WD (about 298 gigs)
Quad Core 2.66ghz intel chipset
G15 Logitech keyboard
DiamondBack Razer Mouse
30inch LCD HP

*Upgraded XP 32 to Win 7 64 - via online store download. Did Custom/Clean installation.. did it about 5x (burned ISO file to DVD) but Finally got win 7 installed (btw i did not get the option to "get latest updates online" during installation.. it simply went straight to EULA)
*Booted up with Unidentified Network and No Network Access
*I am on an unidentified network (it's listed as public),
*I have no internet access, cannot "talk" to my router (ie 192.168.1.1)
*I have no default gateway or Connection DNS (ipconfig /all)
*My linksys BEFSX41 (version 2.1 - with firmware up-to-date) has the LED lit up for the computer.
*I have 2 other computers on the network both working fine (on has XP .. one has Vista) Neither computer recognizes the problem computer and vice versa).
*The problem computer's NIC card, router and cables are working fine (all plug in correctly)
*I've installed updated drivers for sound/video/motherboard, even some Realtek audio codec.. and something called marvel miniport (i dont even know what that is .. but i installed it cuz ive been scouring the forums for 2 days straight - getting a bit loopy at this point, lookin to get this problem computer online)
*Network card is Intel Proset 10/1000 MT - win 7 with the "In box" driver... i tried to update that with only the error message "cannot install drivers, no intel adapters present"
*My Packets are pegged as follows: sent = 0, received = 0, packets sent MIGHT fluctuate to 1 but thats it.
*I've disabled IPv6 and the Mapper I/O and Responder... nothing, then i rechecked it.... nothing
*I flushdns cache... did ipconfig /release and /renew.
*I have no antivirus on there (never installed one) .. I disabled the Window Firewall on all Public - Private and Home

I think thats everything I tried... nothing has worked
my thoughts are the computer thinks its on its own network and not letting anything (not even the router) touch it (ie its configuration issue)
can anyone help here, I've been looking at forums for 2 days. if someone could direct me to a specific thread that solves this issue.. would be great.
I'm about ready to gouge my eyes out, but ill hold off for now =)
Thanks so much in advance (its also good to get this off my chest)
-matt

Most all of us agree that an upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-install your 3rd party applications.

It should have identified it immediately ,. there is no need to setup anything.

Try this......o to Start Run, and type cmd,. now type ping google.com

My average is about 45ms

Do you get a reply?

Hi Reg,
Thanks so much for a quick response. If I go to Start - CMD - Ping google.com it says "Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again"
I tried Google, google.com, and even Google
all had the same result as above.

I think one of the things to point out is that I'm not getting an assigned default gateway or Connection DNS... which means my router flat out is not trying to communicate with the computer (or vice versa).
When I try to ping 192.168.1.1 (my router) it sends 32 bytes of data... it says:
"PING: transmit failed. General Failure." four times
Packets sent is 4 and packets lost is 4 (100% loss).

Any other ideas though, I'm all ears
Thanks
mmbru

Hey Reg,
Thanks for the help again, unfortunately it didnt work. I cant download the Win 7 64 Home Premium driver because it says that the driver is "in box" and unavailable for download.
Although I did download the Win Vista 64 home premium but that didnt work... i ran as administrator and in vista compatibility mode and none of that worked.

=(
still stuck...
Thanks for the effort though, I do appreciate the help.
again if ya think of anything else, ill be happy to try anything.

On a side note... i double clicked my win 7 install CD... it did come up with the "Get updates online"... its funny that it doesnt give me that option when i go from 32 xp to 64 win 7.

anyways,
ty
-mmbru:(

Matt, check the NIC in Device Manager. Does it show as working? Any yellow exclamation marks here?

To check the NIC, ping 127.0.0.1 What result?

Just out of interest, that motherboard should have it's own Nforce based NIC (Sounds like the Marvel Device you mentioned) so why are you using a seperate intel one? I would also try forcing an Ip address in the range that your other pcs are on (192.168.x.x) on the v4 protocols and subnet is always default 255.255.255.0 with gateway being the 192 addy that matches router which is usually 192.168.x.1

Last edited:
WOW,.

I cant download the Win 7 64 Home Premium driver because it says that the driver is "in box" and unavailable for download

That qualifies for one of the strangest error message I;nve heard of

If you just installed Windows 7 I'd perform a "clean" install to get rid pf your problems

Lindsay - In the device manager, it does say "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter" , there is no yellow mark on it. In fact there are no yellow marks on anything in the device manager. I had one on the Multimedia audio controller but i solved that by downloading Realtek audio codec.
The results of the ping for 127.0.0.1 - it does send packets "Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes 32 time <1ms TTL=128" it says 4 times. Packets sent = 4 Pcks received = 4 .. 0 loss, Approximate time = 0ms for min/max/avg.
So the desktop adapter is communicating with the computer... but the card is not communicating with the router.

Highwayman - It does have an intergrated NIC, but during boot up it says "NIC Failure" (at some point it stopped working- this was probably 8 months ago - internet was always fine because i was using the separate NIC - so i didnt care). The reason I use a separate NIC Card is that i do a lot of online gaming and it seems to run faster on the intel card. I've tried both: disable and enabled (the intergrated NIC) in bios... no change in my issue.
As for forcing IPv4 - nothing... packets still pegged at 0 "no internet connectivity"

Reghakr - Yeah, I looked at it for a while and kept reloading the page thinking that the download button didnt load or something... but sure enough, it wont let you download a driver.

Also 1 point of interest - my router always has an LED on for the computer with Win 7 (even when the pc is off)- which is not normal for my other PCs on the network (when pc is off - LED goes off). The LED continously acts like this:
LED on for 5seconds, then it turns off for 1 second, then lights up again for 5 seconds (and that is the cycle)
I dont know what this means. To be honest im starting to lean towards its a router issue and not a win 7 issue. I posted on the linksys forums that activity with the router - ill see what that comes up with.

Again folks, thanks so much for taking the time to respond and help.
best regs,
matt

Just to update this thread. What I have found so far this week:

I've called Microsoft tech support, they placed me with a level 2 tech agent. 2 hours on the phone and couldnt get it going.. they are calling me back tomorrow to see if they can do anything else.

I did manage to get the PROVISTA64.exe and the PROWIN7X64.exe drivers installed for my network adapter (intel PRO 1000 MT Desktop Adapter). It did require me to install the vista driver first, then upgrade to win 7 driver. However this did not change my situation. So its not a network adapter driver issue, its not a router issue... its definitely a setting in Win 7 or some configuration of Win 7 that probably goes deep (ie to the registry info).

Upon further research, Microsoft changed the networking code/language in Win 7, and its been having trouble specifically with DHCPs and LANs - (mostly with DHCP flags).
I will post what happens tomorrow, to be honest i dont know what else microsoft can do and i dont know whats going to happen next if they cant solve this tomorrow.

Heres one of the threads i've been reading:

Windows 7 RC - I can't change my network from public to work

-matt

hey matt...lets try simple first. Swap out ethernet cable with different pc to rule out bad cable. Also ping your router through the cmd function, we'll get you into your router first.

Hey kevin,
Thanks so much for responding. I've swapped out the ethernet cables - switched the ports (even tested in DMZ port) - booted up without the router (ie a direct connection) - and swapped out internet adapters. All with Power cycles and all to no avail.

I've done pretty much everything to make sure its not a hardware malfunction -as that would make this an easy fix =D

I've updated all drivers (including motherboard - cuz i have an intergrated nic that is malfunctioning and disabled in bios, also tried it enabled with no effect).
Bios updated to most recent and router firmware updated to most recent.

I would like to mention, I have 2 other computers on the router (one with XP the other with Vista). The vista one is a laptop, the XP one is a desktop.
Im almost thinking maybe its a setting on the XP desktop (ie its a host or something).
Another thing to mention is that for my non-functioning Win 7 computer - i noticed my UPnP Device Host is listed as "stopped" in msconfig, but my network discovery is on. Im running my router with Upnp enabled.. so far nothing is working. Also on the Win 7 machine SSDP discovery is on (according to msconfig)

PS - forgot to mention if i try to ping router (192.168.1.1) it simply says "Transmission Failure. General Failure" 4x.
I;m getting an IP addy of 169.xxx.x.x so its getting an autoconfig. Also no Default Gateway and no DNS assigned.
I have tried static ip and forcing it ..and that has not worked.

Its like the network win 7 thinks its on is Public (i have switched to Home and Work profiles- nothing) so its not acknowledging my home network.
Thanks for taking interest Kevin... i appreciate all help =)
-matt

Last edited:
Babbling for a just a moment... Under the Local Area Network Connection with win 7 ... the sent and received packets is just always pegged at 0 ... it might move to 1 packet sent... but other than that both numbers are 0. This is what bothers me the most because when I install XP (even from scratch) i at least get packet movements... windows 7 is just..... dead. no talk no communication.
hmmm... just a frustrated afterthought.
-matt

Hey kevin,
Thanks so much for responding. I've swapped out the ethernet cables - switched the ports (even tested in DMZ port) - booted up without the router (ie a direct connection) - and swapped out internet adapters. All with Power cycles and all to no avail.

I've done pretty much everything to make sure its not a hardware malfunction -as that would make this an easy fix =D

I've updated all drivers (including motherboard - cuz i have an intergrated nic that is malfunctioning and disabled in bios, also tried it enabled with no effect).
Bios updated to most recent and router firmware updated to most recent.

I would like to mention, I have 2 other computers on the router (one with XP the other with Vista). The vista one is a laptop, the XP one is a desktop.
Im almost thinking maybe its a setting on the XP desktop (ie its a host or something).
Another thing to mention is that for my non-functioning Win 7 computer - i noticed my UPnP Device Host is listed as "stopped" in msconfig, but my network discovery is on. Im running my router with Upnp enabled.. so far nothing is working. Also on the Win 7 machine SSDP discovery is on (according to msconfig)

PS - forgot to mention if i try to ping router (192.168.1.1) it simply says "Transmission Failure. General Failure" 4x.
I;m getting an IP addy of 169.xxx.x.x so its getting an autoconfig. Also no Default Gateway and no DNS assigned.
I have tried static ip and forcing it ..and that has not worked.

Its like the network win 7 thinks its on is Public (i have switched to Home and Work profiles- nothing) so its not acknowledging my home network.
Thanks for taking interest Kevin... i appreciate all help =)
-matt

If your getting an addy of 169.x.x.x off of a linksys router without you doing anything to it, you should restart the router, plus try different ports to eleiminate that possibilty. A reboot might bump a bad port.

Last edited:
the 169.x.x.x addy your seeing is because the NIC can't find the dhcp server. Like I said, this is where you start simple, because this usually happens when you get a faulty wire or ethernet cable, maybe a bad port on the router. This addy is given to you by a windows service called APIPA or Automatic Private IP Addressing. Plus you'll need to go into the router from 1 of the working pcs to see if your using Mac filtering which would also be a problem. And while your in there, make sure you're not out of the IP range.

Last edited:
Hey Guys:

I recently upgraded from windows vista home premium to windows 7 home premium and now I am getting this internet error. I have contacted HP and with the help of a technical support agent I made every single troubleshoot possible, and no luck. after 2 hours of support, he called microsoft and they explain that this was a "global" error, therefore, we have to wait for a posible driver...It SUCKS I know. But if matt you get a response from microsoft please let us know, It will be of much assistance.

-H.I.

Hey Kevin,

After talking to Tech support again, they recommended i buy a "windows 7 compatible" NIC ... however i thought the intel PRO 1000 mt desktop adapter was compatible.

I switched out the cable, it didnt work, but what was interesting was that when I unplugged the cable, it didnt say "cable unplugged". THere was no onscreen message anywhere to acknowledge the physical disconnection.

Hey Neo - do you get the same thing when you unplugged the cable?
-thanks
matt

Actually it is pretty frustrating because, I see how the laptop manages to acknowledge every thing that happens on it, for example when there is internet conectivity on my wireless area it says internet access, but there is no conection to the internet, and when there is no internet on my area says no internet access, that also happens with the wired lan cable. I am getting very pissed at Windows 7 right now... I am at the end of my college year, and now is the perfect time for my laptop to stop working, speaking very SARCASTIC!!...

-Neo

mmmbru have you......

Disables the faulty Network device in your "BIOS" before you try to enable the PCI card you have installed.
STEPS I would try are....
1) disable the card in the BIOS.
2) then when windows7 starts up disable the NIC in Control panel.
3) the restart and re-enable the NIC.

regards Carl

Hey Carl,
Heres the latest, I ended up calling Dell support regardin the "NIC Failure" on boot up (the intergrated NIC is bad). I am under warranty so they are sending a new motherboard to replace it. We will see what happens next.
Since I didnt get a disconnection acknowledgement when I unplugged the cable, my guess is that it is the fact that my intergrated NIC is bad. Dell support told me not to plug the other NIC card in when I get the new Motherboard.
As for disabling the intergrated NIC in bios... i tried that already, there was no change in situation.
but we will see what happens after the new board is installed.
thanks for responding!
-matt

Back
Top Bottom