Windows 10 Uninstall *ALL* Metro UI Apps?

Cincinnatus

I'm running a non-touch laptop and have no use for MetroUI apps whatsoever. How would one go about globally uninstalling ALL of the Metro apps in Windows 10 so that they're gone forever?

Removal
  • Open a powershell window (Win Key type powershell)
  • Type Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage (Removes all) OR
  • Get-AppxPackage -Name *Microsoft* | Remove-AppxPackage (Remove only Microsoft apps) OR
  • Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm (Remove all but you can confirm deletion on each package)

Would you say this method is better than using something like IoBit Advanced System Care to uninstall?

Never used that product, but if it costs money then why waste the money when you can use a built-in windows tool with one command.

ASC is a highly regarded utility that also does much more than facilitate uninstalls - it's a very good registry cleaner, and does other stuff. You can check it out here: CLICKY

Anyway, I'm asking again, because I used the 'confirm' command and after about the sixth confirmation on packages I didn't know, that got tired, so I just selected 'a' for all... however it wound up also deleting the MS Store and didn't get trid of other apps that are still there. Having previously used the command line to remove Xbox, the IoBit utility alerted me to latent registry entries, so while the app is gone, it's really not purged, hence my uncertainty.

For the OP.

If you have not installed them, there is no real reason to take the trouble of removing them.

I have no touchscreens, nor, on my budget, is it likely in the future, but I have several Metro Apps installed, which I use comfortably with the usual mouse gestures.

For the OP.

If you have not installed them, there is no real reason to take the trouble of removing them.

I have no touchscreens, nor, on my budget, is it likely in the future, but I have several Metro Apps installed, which I use comfortably with the usual mouse gestures.
Less is more. I have no use of them, and if I can get them off my drive, clear the registration entries and have some peace of mind regarding privacy, all the better.
CCleaner is a free reg cleaner
Whatever. The point is that a GUI removal tool might be the easier way to go than possibly delete something that might be needed.

This thread has been stickied, as one, such as myself, or perhaps, others with hasty intent, may be inclined to open PowerShell and use @Neemobeer 's solution to rid of "Modern UI" apps once and for all.

So yeah, I was so happy when I found 3 Clever PowerShell Functions After Upgrading to Windows 10 on friday but today my Windows Store went crazy and I couldn't download anything so basically I tried every command and everything to bring it back to life*. After this Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8 everything works normally but all the apps I have removed are back. What kind of sorcery is this?

*Happened because I disabled Windows Store in Settings->Privacy->Background apps. Silly me.

Last edited:
The operating system which many thought was going to be Windows 9 is in fact going to be called Windows 10.
The preview is apparently available tomorrow 1st October 2014.

@allen: I think you are responding to an old post; not sure how this showed up, but the last post date before yours today was Aug. 9, 2015.

BBJ

Ok I know I'm really late with this but nobody mentioned what I do to take care of this. I use the Classic Shell Start Menu. There are three styles of start menus plus a ton of other mods. I've used it exclusively ever since the Win7 Preview.

Yes but still even with some of the non required ones missing, update sometimes fails without them.

I would suggest you use an uninstaller program to remove unwanted apps.

Nowadays Anti-virus programs ship such a program with them to help the users remove unwanted programs from their system.

Back
Top Bottom