Windows 7 Uninstalling stuff on Win 7...

Varsel

On my XP Pro it is possible to actually uninstall junk (both apps I install and the bloatware M$ pre-installed). How about with Win 7? Been doing a flurry of Google research trying to get familiar with this OS, before my PC arrives from eBay. So far as I can tell, with Win 7 the word 'uninstall' means 'disable and hide from view'. Before it meant delete it, nuke it, and wipe it from existence on the PC. Is it true that Win 7 components like Telnet, WMP, Remote Registry, etc., cannot be really uninstalled?

Depends, some of the items you mentioned are applications, these can be uninstalled via Apps and Features. Some items such as telnet and WMP are considered Windows features and can also be removed from apps and features, but you need to go into the features section to remove them. Lastly items like remote registry are services and can technically be removed but you shouldn't remove Windows services instead you would want to just disable them.

Depends, some of the items you mentioned are applications, these can be uninstalled via Apps and Features. Some items such as telnet and WMP are considered Windows features and can also be removed from apps and features, but you need to go into the features section to remove them. Lastly items like remote registry are services and can technically be removed but you shouldn't remove Windows services instead you would want to just disable them.

Thanks for the info. The tech guy I use for housecalls probably knows how to do all this, but just in case, could you link to tutorials or how-to sources detailing uninstallation "via Apps and Features", and how to remove remote registry. I really do not need the latter on my PC. I used XPlite to ditch remote registry (and lots of other 'remote' junk) from XP Pro years ago, and never regretted it.

I used to watch scriptkiddie and blackhatter sites, which were filled with advice on how to remotely re-enable anything disabled. Whenever possible, I prefer to nuke anything I don't need, that techno-vandals exploit...if nothing else, it frees up space.

Back
Top Bottom