Windows 7 Unwanted icons in start menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start Menu

Thank you tblount. I did know why Microsoft has the users. But for all of us with single user PC's, we're still wondering which Start Menu File we should keep , if we can keep only one. Thanks again

Thank you tblount. I did know why Microsoft has the users. But for all of us with single user PC's, we're still wondering which Start Menu File we should keep , if we can keep only one. Thanks again

Why do you feel you must make a decision to get rid of one of them?

You save a lot more space going through you system, deleting sample images and sample media and even going through your photographs and deleting the ones with red eye or unfocused?

Also, if you run a program that deletes temporary and backup files, even if you have done a clean install you will still have a TON of files you can safely remove.... for example... if you downloaded Windows 7 from Digital Rivers... you have 2 box files that take about 3 gb of space. You could simply run windows explorer and search your c: drive for *.tmp and find another 6 gb of temp file space to free up.

Run a program like treesize pro and look at the files that are taking the most space.. sometimes they are duplicates of your work files and stuff you have downloaded.

And you can buy a hard drive cheap.. for example someone has 11 Eide hard drives on eBay right now for $5 or $10 each... from 80 gb to 250 gb http://stores.ebay.com/BamaBoatMotors that auction ends tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yurako: I don't have a Start Menu under the path suggested. I am surprised that you found one, and that it is blocked. But my installation is heavily customised, so anything is possible!

If we are discussing Windows 7, then my path to the user Start Menu is Users - username - Appdata - Roaming - Microsoft - Windows - Start Menu.

To see App data, you must open the Tools - Folder Options - View - "Show hidden files, Folders etc..."

Last edited:
RAK,

Not all Start Menu items are listed in the path you described above.

It's simply c:\users\Jim\Start Menu, which gives you the Access Denied message.

That's why I suggested the Surf File Manager as it can get into the Access Denied folders and make changes.

Very strange. I have seven installs available at the moment, all in different flavours. I cannot see that path in any.
Of course, if a wrong path is typed, (rather then searched for manually) then the inaccessible message is the default.

I have these shortcuts to mine.. they should be the same for everyone.. except user name is different in one.

"C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

And one to my temporary internet files

"C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files"

I am about to give up on this thread in total frustration! There seems to be a loss in communication, or a misunderstanding. I can only refer you to your first post which has mislead the OP. The post was subsequently hijacked by barbaraa, which might have started the confusion.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

That's due to the fact that the Program Data folder is a duplicate (pointer) to the C:\users\yourusername\Start Menu
That path does not exist!!!!!!

Quote "Not all Start Menu items are listed in the path you described above"
Yes they are, at least in Windows 7.

Your subsequent post, with pictures, is showing the correct two paths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back