Insider Preview Updates today, can open Start Menu?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

That's supposed to say Can't open Start Menu.

I got some forced updates today, not to the new version of TP, and now I can't open the start menu, or type in the search windows on the Task Bar?

I created a system image yesterday but I thought that I'd see if anyone has any experience with this before I roll back the updates.

Everything else seems to be working, my browsers and software all open as long as I have access to an icon to start them but anything that I don't have a quick link to is not available.

The Windows key seems to be inactive too.

Mike

Last edited:

Joe S

Excellent Member
Mike I see people having issues with this build on other forums. It appears to have plenty of bugs again.
Joe

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
I installed the update, then tried a clean install from an ISO. The latter was very much faster (Apart from making the ISO, of course). I didn't try the update for long, but I don't have any of those problems on the fresh install.

Joe S

Excellent Member
I don't know why MS won't release the ISO and forces people to go through the upgrade mess. Upgrades have always seemed to cause problems!
Joe

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

This isn't the new build just some updates to 9926, but it may be the same problem.
I see other people saying that their start menu won't open who did install the new build.
So maybe something that I got today is common with the new build

I restored my system backup from the day before yesterday and everything it working again.

I want to wait for the ISO and install the new version on my other hard drive in a larger partition.

Anyone know if I can run the two dual boot, until I get the new clean install setup?

Mike

It's already bugging me to update but I'm going to put it off as long as I can and then hope it works the second time.

Last edited:
This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.