Windows 7 upgrade from a non genuin advantage certified XP

jeffk464

Ok here is the deal, I baught windows 7 upgrade when it was first offered for $50. I have three machines, two running vista and one waiting to be put together. I want to have get all three machines working with my two legit oem vista disks and my soon to arrive windows 7 upgrade version. So my question is, when installing the win7 upgrade version does it de-activate the previous version (vista) of windows running on the computer. Can I call microsoft and say my motherboard fried and get a new serial number for the copy of vista that I used to upgrade to win7. Another alternative, can I use a non genuine advantage copy of XP as the base to upgrade to win7.

Oh, one more alternative can you upgrade from the RC win7, or do you need the full blown installation disk?

You can do almost all of these things, yet not all of them would be ethical or legal.

• You can use your Windows Vista installation to upgrade to Windows 7, and then use your original version of Windows Vista to install Windows Vista on another computer. This may violate the EULA (End User License Agreement), but it will probably work.
  • You can install a copy of Windows XP, then upgrade to Windows Vista, and then upgrade to Windows 7. Upon doing this, you could then activate Windows 7. This is a very sketchy idea since you would be better off just backing up your files and doing a clean install of Windows 7... but you only have the upgrade.
I can't endorse any of it, but it would work technically... whether or not it violates your license agreement with MS is something you would want to ask them about. Usually when you call to activate Windows it is an auto-attendant that just asks you for the product key.

There is a way to upgrade from the RC, but it is extremely not recommended.

baby steps

Baby steps, I have to work my way up to always paying the full blown microsoft tax. I did at least buy all three copies of windows its just that one is the upgrade version. The last version of windows that I purchased prior to vista was win95.

Jeff,

Non-supported, non-recommended paths:

XP > Win7 - no Upgrade, do Clean Install
Win7 RC > Win7 GA - no Upgrade, do Clean Install

Drew

I always do a clean install, but since I ordered the upgrade version of win7 you have to have something already installed.

I believe this will work

One of you more experienced members please correct me if what I am going to tell this person is misleading.

I am under the impression that you can simply install Vista on your new computer (DO NOT ACTIVATE, you have 30 days to activate) Immediately install your update version of Windows 7 over the Vista that you just installed. Activate Windows 7. You will now have a clean Windows 7, and you can begin installing software.

All this is provided that you have a full Vista disk and not a recovery disk.

Oem????

Yes, I have the full OEM 64bit install disk.

OEM (original equipment manufacturer) indicates pre-installed operating system. If you have an actual OEM disk, you will get an error code if you attempt to install to ANYTHING other than the original motherboard. If you have a full RETAIL copy of Vista, you can install it on any number of systems, but can only activate it on one system at a time. The 30 day activation grace period allows the procedure I outlined earlier.

OEM (original equipment manufacturer) indicates pre-installed operating system. If you have an actual OEM disk, you will get an error code if you attempt to install to ANYTHING other than the original motherboard. If you have a full RETAIL copy of Vista, you can install it on any number of systems, but can only activate it on one system at a time. The 30 day activation grace period allows the procedure I outlined earlier.

Its a OEM version from microsoft, not a computer manufacturer.

"Its a OEM version from microsoft, not a computer manufacturer. "

It sounds like you have a "Retail" version, not an "OEM" version. If it installs all the typical bloatware that comes with a new computer, it is OEM. If it is a "Clean" version that you purchased from Microsoft online store, it is Retail

OEM version for system builders, perfect for people building there own computers.
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

Includes free Windows 7 upgrade coupon

Huh, since it says win7 upgrade, I assume I can do it. Cool.

Touche' ! Perhaps the info I am stating is not completely accurate. I apologize for the apparent misinformation.

Now I must return to the hole that I crawled out from.

Touche' ! Perhaps the info I am stating is not completely accurate. I apologize for the apparent misinformation.

Now I must return to the hole that I crawled out from.

Na, I know I don't know everything. All the back and forth discussions in these forums help us to figure out what is going on, I think.

Yes, if Vista is in, then can use the Win7 Upgrade, you are correct except the Vista cannot be OEM. Must be full retail version.

You cannot go Vista OEM > Win7 Upgrade.

But, anyway, what you told him is correct... Vista, don't activate, then go to a 7 install.

Drew

If Vista OEM cannot upgrade to Win7 why is NewEgg.com offering Vista OEM software with upgrade coupon?

I have a question and have been searching everywhere for the answer.
WinXP Pro 32bit > Can I upgrade to Win7 64bit with the purchase of the Win7 upgrade? Or do I have to upgrade Win7 to 32bit? And what version of Win7 can I upgrade to, Home or Pro?

Last edited:

Just to clear up about OEM's and new hardware..Let's say your motherboard fried and you installed an exact copy, rather than an error code you will be asked to 're activate' that copy of vista. If the original key is 'typed' in then it will be rejected. To get round this one has to use the 'phone in' method of activation where you'll be given a new key (usually). Obviously this is a legit method to get round a problem of hardware replacement but has been used to bend the rules...

Back