Upgrade seems OK, but......????

Der Alte

Following the advice of the majority here, I disconnected external back-up HD and printer and upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 7. Took about 2.5 hours and went smoothly overall. (Thanks to those who responded last time.)

But now I am puzzled by what I see. I definitely have Windows 10, lots of Win 10 features, etc. I have the Win 10 "Start" menu which appears at the bottom left. But am also still seeing my old Win 7 desktop and icons. I can access programs either from my old Win 7 icons or from the Win menu. Almost like I now have this odd mixture of Win 7 and Win 10. Doesn't look anything like what I saw when I upgraded a laptop from 8.1 to 10 a few months ago. What is this?

Spirit Wolfe

Honorable Member
But now I am puzzled ... I now have this odd mixture of Win 7 and Win 10. Doesn't look anything like what I saw when I upgraded a laptop from 8.1 to 10 a few months ago. What is this?
First...

HOW DID YOU INSTALL WINDOWS 10?

The fill update to a current version of the latest update build of Windows 10 takes A LOT LONGER than 2.5 hours!

It looks to me that you DID NOT RUN Windows 10 Setup.exe on a CLEAN Drive C partition (or drive), rather you ran the Windows 10 Setup.exe FROM THE DESKTOP OF A WINDOWS 7 INSTALL!

You probably did not understand how Windows 10 Setup.exe FULLY works. This Setup.exe can be installed TWO DIFFERENT WAYS:

A. By running Setup.exe from a Windows installation ALREADY INSTALLED on the computer you are telling Windows 10 to UPGRADE your system and NOT perform a clean install. This is the reason why you now have a "hybrid" looking installation.

B. If you ran Windows 10 Setup.exe (PROVIDED THAT it is a FULL installable Windows 10 and not an upgrade copy) from a SELF-BOOTABLE device (like a USB flash drive, a bootable DVD, or bootable SD card) on a clean (formatted) NTFS formatted drive then you would not have a "hybrid" looking installation.

Second, the reason it inly took you 2.5 hours to do that install was because you did not do it from a formatted NTFS partitioned drive (usually drive C), and you did not have the last major Windows 10 November 2019 Patch ISO downloaded onto a USB NTFS formatted (do not use a bootable FAT32 formatted USB flash drive because you will NOT FIT [even though there is room on the drive] the November 2019 Windows 10 Patch ISO on the drive BECAUSE the ISO is NTFS and NTFS files CAN NOT fit onto a formatted FAT32) flash drive.

Finally, (its really a moot point now because you already dropped the hammer and did it) here is the question that you needed to ask yourself before you started:

Did you want to UPGRADE...

• OR •

...did you want a CLEAN INSTALLATION of Windows 10 (Home/Pro) installed?

Also, FYI I use RUFUS and not the MS flash drive USB boot drive creator...

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe《♤》

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

☆☆☆ 》Tapatalk users: 《☆☆☆

If you like my post & I was helpful -- PLEASE consider giving KIN...

Spirit Wolfe

Honorable Member
I almost forgot to tell you that when you do a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 10 Setup.exe WITH the NOVEMBER 2019 UPDATE...

A. Go into the Windows Update and MANUALLY DISABLE the Windows Update Until after the November 2019 Update Patch ISO is completely installed.

B. Install your other software and peripherals (Desktop/Notebook (first), Printer(s), Mouse drivers, external monitors, etc.) next...

...this INCLUDES ALL Microsoft Software (like Office 2016/365, Visio, etc.) because once update is turned on for the initial time you will not know what updates are going to be installed first, second, third, etc.

C. Only when you are DONE WITH YOUR LOCAL software installations (do I) turn on Windows Update and reconnect my computer to the internet. (I also turn on the "Allow MS to download third-party software updates.)

Hopefully this will help you...

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe《♤》

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

☆☆☆ 》Tapatalk users: 《☆☆☆

If you like my post & I was helpful -- PLEASE consider giving KIN...

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
If you did an upgrade versus a clean install, which it sounds like that's what you did, then yes you will retain all of your shortcuts, data and applications.