Sokil

Hello. I am using Windows 7 Pro and I want to upgrade it to Windows 10. As far as I know, to do this I need to reserve my copy that will be available after 29th July(not sure if it's correct). In any case, there should be windows 10 icon in the right corner of taskbar. And the problem's that I do not have that icon. I have looked around the net what can cause the problem and found out that absence of that icon can occur in one of this cases:
1) I have pirate copy of Windows
2) My PC does not meet system requirements
3) I do not have necessary updates
I have Official Windows 7 Pro, so it's not 1. I also have pretty powerful PC(except video card, but it can handle this) and, last but not the least, I have updated Windows with all optional and required updates and set my Windows Update to auto. So where's the problem? Why can't I see Windows 10 app? In Windows 10 FAQ there was also mentioned that I could somehow delete or block the update, so it would be great if you told me name of Update.
Thanks in advance!

Make sure your copy is authenticated as genuine.

Force download all the latest Windows Updates every time it wants to update.

In Control Panel, check for updates repeatedly, and install every single update.. Don't just rely on auto. Make sure every single one is downloaded and installed.

The update you are looking for is KB3035583. This installs the upgrade nag screen (oops, I mean.. the "upgrade notification"!) :p

Please let me know if this works.

I just finished looking at my updates. I have both KB3035583 and KB2952664 in my Installed Updates

Hmm.. for some reason I have a hunch Method 3 might work, if only because it was posted at Microsoft Answers. As far as running all these crazy batch files, just try Method 3. Post result. Thank you.

Ok. I've downloaded the file. Ran it, checked update status - says everything's there. What now? There're 3 other options:
1) Quick-Method #1
2) Quick-Method #2
3) Long-Method #1

Try all methods until it works. :) P.S. I know that is not very re-assuring, but something has got to give. If any of these methods look like they were applied successfully, restart your computer and see if the icon appears.

Contact Microsoft. You should have received an e-mail, to validate your update. It may have gone to trash = dump, depending on your security settings. But if you have a legitimate Windows, you're always free to contact them. My experience of their customer service is... SPLENDID!

Just get a new contact?

Hello. I am using Windows 7 Pro and I want to upgrade it to Windows 10. As far as I know, to do this I need to reserve my copy that will be available after 29th July(not sure if it's correct). In any case, there should be windows 10 icon in the right corner of taskbar. And the problem's that I do not have that icon. I have looked around the net what can cause the problem and found out that absence of that icon can occur in one of this cases:
1) I have pirate copy of Windows
2) My PC does not meet system requirements
3) I do not have necessary updates
I have Official Windows 7 Pro, so it's not 1. I also have pretty powerful PC(except video card, but it can handle this) and, last but not the least, I have updated Windows with all optional and required updates and set my Windows Update to auto. So where's the problem? Why can't I see Windows 10 app? In Windows 10 FAQ there was also mentioned that I could somehow delete or block the update, so it would be great if you told me name of Update.
Thanks in advance!
Is your all updates completed?

Last edited:
You should call Microsoft Technical Support once its released. Otherwise, not much can be done in this case.

You are running Windows 7 Pro SP1?

What video resolution are you running?

The Windows update program if it downloaded should be located at C:\Windows\System32\GWX. Open a elevated command prompt to this directory assuming it exists run the following command. GWX.exe /updateconfig

You can also try running
  • GWXConfigManager.exe /RefreshConfigAndContent
  • GWXDetector.exe

Last edited:
My PC does not have the Windows 10 flag. It is legitimate. I contacted Microsoft and a tier 2 tech and he told me not to worry as Microsoft knows of all the PC's and when I am ready to upgrade I will be able to. The flag is not important. As I understand it there may be hardware in a computer that does not have drivers that will cause one not to get the flag. I also have heard that there are some big issues with Nvidia graphics cards and sli configurations that could cause your PC not to load when you do an upgrade. Be careful.

Just for grins and giggles, have you run the Windows8.1 upgrade adviser? Any hardware compatibility issues will show up there.

Windows 10 comes in waves. It's not available to everyone at once, you will see an icon in your taskbar when it's downloadable.

But, Sokil, you cannot have a pirate copy that is "legitimate" - that is a juridical impossibility. Pirate copies are doomed for a dead end, sooner or later. You're on the wrong road, destination perdition.

@Lee Antrich; I just upgraded to Windows 10, I found it was amazing, but I didn't get any sound, and no video from DVB Viewer, so I went back to Windows 7. I spent some hours trying to solve issues, but I had work to do, no time for play, I'll return to Windows 10 later this year. I find your post very useful for commoners. Cheerio!

Delightful to see new members express themselves. :up:

Back