Windows 10 Uploading FOLDERS to OneDrive - Impossible ??

Imageman

Extraordinary Member
I have literally spent hours researching to find an accurate step-by-step instruction on how to upload FOLDERS to OneDrive (I know how to upload files). First, I'm shocked it's not a feature of onedrive and made as easy as uploading files??
Sample of many Dead Ends "Just use the Upload tab in Edge." Don't find a way to enable an upload tab in Edge settings, or searches. And there are similar difficulties with Firefox and Chrome.
Am I alone here? - Please save me, appreciated, Bob

Click upload
Click folder
Browse to folder and click open and watch it magically appear

Easy peasy

Click upload
Click folder
Browse to folder and click open and watch it magically appear

Windows 10 Pro
Easy peasy - Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, when I click upload and choose a folder on my PC to upload, or a folder with sub folders OneDrive asks for a file name?

[email protected]

This is what I get on the last pic when I click select it copies the folder to OD.

Are you login into one drive or just trying to add the folder from somewhere else?

Attachments

• od1.JPG
    od1.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,535
  • od2.JPG
    od2.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,569
  • od3.JPG
    od3.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,304
Thanks Helpifican! This what I get using the + symbol. Than
Snap2.jpg
ks for the pic's by the way - Bob

Thanks forum, but I give up! Back to Dropbox, so easy to use!! Too bad, I was looking forward to OneDrive!

There must be some difference between the versions of drop box as you do not show the upload next to the new +.
Are you using win 10?
Are you using app to access?
Is this though office 365?

Sure is frustrating but there is nothing wrong with drop box.

Did you mean OneDrive in your first sentence? Yes I'm using Windows 10, and the OneDrive app, and I just subscribed to Office 365.

I was looking forward to the integration that it offered with OneDrive. In my quest to make OneDrive work I read many, many OneDrive issues, many not resolved. Your help is appreciated, Best - Bob

Yes old man brain.

Have you tried just logging into OD on the internet there may be some differences between the app and a direct login.
My company uses O365 and I login at OD there and it is the same as a direct login. Hard to understand what the difference could be.

OK one more thing to try.

Open file explorer
Click OenDrive down arrow
Then click this PC
Select the folder copy it
Paste it to OD
Should show up there with blue circular arrows to show it is uploading to OD
Then should be on OD and in you this PC

If this doesn't work I'm out of suggestions.

Been similarly frustrated. Discovered folders will easily upload to OneDrive when using a Chrome browser to host OneDrive. If using Internet Explorer (and perhaps also Microsoft Edge), folders cannot be uploaded. Go figure ... awful user interface.

I have the same problem but with the android app...would soooooooooooo appreciate if a whole folder can be uploaded, not just single files.

I have literally spent hours researching to find an accurate step-by-step instruction on how to upload FOLDERS to OneDrive (I know how to upload files). First, I'm shocked it's not a feature of onedrive and made as easy as uploading files??
Sample of many Dead Ends "Just use the Upload tab in Edge." Don't find a way to enable an upload tab in Edge settings, or searches. And there are similar difficulties with Firefox and Chrome.

You can also upload Folders to the Onedrive. Go to Chrome and Login to Onedrive.com then Click on the Upload > Folders. Browser through the fileexplorer and click on the folder you want to upload. OneDrive wil show the progress of the Folder Upload. I tried this for uploading my QuickBooks Cloud data in my previous company. Hope so this helps you out.

Regards,

Adrian

Hello Mr Imageman. I had exactly the same problem and it is because I use Firefox. With Firefox you have to create a folder first using new-> folder changing to your preferred name for the folder , then uploading the files into that folder . I also use Brave and I think folders can be uploaded directly with that browser.

So to get the OneDrive folder issue to work, Have you tried to copy (or move) your folder to:
%UserProfile%\OneDrive
That way you upload (or sync) that LOCAL folder to the cloud OneDrive...

Been similarly frustrated. Discovered folders will easily upload to OneDrive when using a Chrome browser to host OneDrive. If using Internet Explorer (and perhaps also Microsoft Edge), folders cannot be uploaded. Go figure ... awful user interface.
Thanks for this - you just saved me HOURS of work. Yes, switch to CHROME BROWSER to drag and drop FOLDERS from a Windows Explorer window into OneDrive for Business (SharePoint). Works like a charm - ridiculous that Edge doesn't work given that OneDrive and Edge are both Microsoft Products!

Thanks for this - you just saved me HOURS of work. Yes, switch to CHROME BROWSER to drag and drop FOLDERS from a Windows Explorer window into OneDrive for Business (SharePoint). Works like a charm - ridiculous that Edge doesn't work given that OneDrive and Edge are both Microsoft Products!

Why would you use a browser???

All you need to do is to open FILE EXPLORER...
And in the left pane you will se ONEDRIVE..
If you click on that you will see every folder in your onedrive.. and may copy and past folder any way you want...

It really is that simple..

Because I am not the owner of the One Drive shared folder that I needed to populate with a copy of my multi leveled folder structure with over 500 files. So the "copy from" window was from my One Drive for Business folders inside my Windows Explorer on my laptop but the "copy to" window was my colleagues shared file in the company's Sharepoint One Drive (Office365/Cloud). If you know of a way to show One Drive folders owned and shared by colleagues inside my laptop's local Windows Explorer then please do share.

You can store over 300 types of files on OneDrive. With Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome:

Select Upload > Files or Upload > Folder.
Select the files or folder you want to upload.
Select Open or Select Folder.

With other browsers:
Select Upload, select the files you want to upload, and select Open.
If you don't see Upload > Folder, create a folder , and then upload the files to that folder.

Back