Windows 7 Usb 3.0 will not recognize my 1tb drive but 2.0 will

Ben DuPont

I have two drives by seagate 1tb and 500gb. The 1tb drive is highspeed but when i plug it into the 3.0usb ss it does not show up. Im stuck using the 2.0 drive. Can anyone give any help on this?

Is the USB 3.0 an addon card or did it come with the PC? There seems to be a lot of problems with USB 3.0. Did you make sure the drivers are updated? Also check the drivers for the USB controller. Did you look on the Seagate forum?
Joe

USB 3.0 cables normally show a different color than 2.0 cables. Mine shows blue, but I have seen red, I think.

If you plug the fast drive into a 2.0 port, do you get a message about making it run faster?

As Joe says, the 3.0 ports require additional drivers, but they should at least see the drive.

The Hard drive is getting power, the light is on, but it just does not show up at all. Ive been checking everywhere for this problem even the seagate forum. I have checked drivers and they say they are up to date.

Something else I remembered seeing. Some computers the USB 3.0 port slows to USB 2.0 speed if you have a device plugged into the USB 2.0 port. Try removing things from your USB 2.0 ports if you have anything connected there.
Joe

This is brand new laptop. Turns out I have to hold the plug upwards while in the usb and now it shows up. Thanks for the time guys, sorry it looks like it was a usb port problem.

Last edited:
WD has problems with the USB port on the circuit boards too. It's probably a poor solder job with the lead free solder they have to use now. I wouldn't trust the drive if the port breaks off you're screwed. Or the drive might get corrupted.
Joe

Back